Associate degrees can sometimes be confusing. Some lead to or are part of a four-year bachelors degree program, whilst others are totally different and instead provide vocational training to prepare students for the workplace.
This page seeks to provide some clarification by outlining the major types and comparing them, so as to enable you to select a suitable school and type of associate’s degree.
What are the benefits of an associate program?
There are at least three benefits of associate programs:
- Associate programs can help you prepare you for many technical jobs such as medical assisting, computer repair, or accounting. Some jobs only require certificates or on-the-job training, but many technical jobs require associate’s degrees.
- Many associate degrees (e.g., the Nursing associate programs online) give you credits that can transfer should you decide to take a bachelor’s degree.
- You can complete associate degrees in about two years instead of the four years required for a bachelor’s degree.
What types of associate programs are there?
When looking for associate programs you need to be aware that there are four different types:
- Associate of Arts (AA) – The AA degree usually consists of 60 college-level credits in the arts and humanities area. The majority of the courses taken in these AA degrees online should be transferable to a university.
- Associate of Science (AS) – The AS degree consists of approximately 60 college-level credits in the science area. The majority of the courses taken in these associate programs should be transferable to a university.
- Associate in Applied Science (AAS) – The AAS degree consists of approximately 60 college-level credits and is designed to prepare students for employment. You need to be aware that the transfer of AAS credits is very limited.
- Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) – An AOS is a vocational degree similar to the AAS. The degree generally requires about 60 credits. You need to be aware that the transfer of AOS credits is very limited.
What subjects can you take as associate programs online?
There are associate programs in many subjects that can be taken online, e.g., Accounting; Electronics and Computer Technology; Network Systems Administration; Health Information Technology; Web Graphic Design. As can be seen from the list below, associate programs in many areas and schools are available, both online and on campus.
List of schools and programs
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
After 35 years of serving Florida’s educational needs, Florida-Technical College has merged with National University College (NUC), which until now had been a sister Institution.
Turn your passion for food into a career at the Culinary Institute of Virginia.
What Are You Waiting For?
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
The Berkeley Advantage®
Preparing students for professional and personal success is what Berkeley College is all about. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
No matter what occupation you choose to pursue, the competition for a good job is fierce. Lansdale School of Business (LSB) can help you stand out from the rest by teaching you the specific skills you need to succeed in the career you desire.
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.