Even if you are already a registered nurse (RN), there are several advantages to getting a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) if you have the time and money to do it.
A bachelors degree in nursing will give you a solid foundation in the theory behind nursing and in how nursing practice fits into the overall environment of health care. Many of the best nursing jobs – specialties like Nurse Practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Nurse Administrator, and so on – require a BSN degree or even a Masters degree. And you can usually earn a higher salary after completing a BSN.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying online nursing at bachelor’s level, the colleges where you can study a BSN, the jobs prospects, and how much you can expect to earn after completion.
Studying a bachelor of science in nursing
A BSN program usually includes courses in: biological, physical, and social sciences, humanities, together with more specialized courses in health promotion, risk reduction, disease prevention, information technology, ethics, human diversity, management theory, and health care system and policies.
A very popular nursing program is the LPN to BSN program. This program builds on the basic education, skills, and experience of the LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) who wishes to transition to the professional nursing role. Note that the LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) and LPN are essentially the same credential.
Most BSN programs seem to be for Registered Nurses wishing to upgrade to a degree. Clearly, they have already done a substantial amount of the study involved in the bachelors degree, so they take a special program. Click here to read more about BSN programs for RNs.
Accelerated BSN programs (lasting 12 to 18 months) are available for individuals who have a Bachelor’s or higher degree in another field and who are interested in moving into nursing.
List of nursing schools and undergraduate programs
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option
- If You Are a Registered Nurse, Grand Canyon University's Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) Program Can Prepare You to Take Your Career to the Next Level
- GCU's RN to BSN is tailored to meet the needs of the RN adult learner and to maximize the strengths that the working RN already posses.
- The BSN at GCU is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Grand Canyon University's 5-week courses help you earn your degree in as little as 12 months.
- GCU's accredited program is aligned to standards established by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN).
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!