Even if you are already a registered nurse (RN), there are several advantages to getting a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) if you have the time and money to do it.
A bachelors degree in nursing will give you a solid foundation in the theory behind nursing and in how nursing practice fits into the overall environment of health care. Many of the best nursing jobs – specialties like Nurse Practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Nurse Administrator, and so on – require a BSN degree or even a Masters degree. And you can usually earn a higher salary after completing a BSN.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying online nursing at bachelor’s level, the colleges where you can study a BSN, the jobs prospects, and how much you can expect to earn after completion.
Studying a bachelor of science in nursing
A BSN program usually includes courses in: biological, physical, and social sciences, humanities, together with more specialized courses in health promotion, risk reduction, disease prevention, information technology, ethics, human diversity, management theory, and health care system and policies.
A very popular nursing program is the LPN to BSN program. This program builds on the basic education, skills, and experience of the LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) who wishes to transition to the professional nursing role. Note that the LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) and LPN are essentially the same credential.
Most BSN programs seem to be for Registered Nurses wishing to upgrade to a degree. Clearly, they have already done a substantial amount of the study involved in the bachelors degree, so they take a special program. Click here to read more about BSN programs for RNs.
Accelerated BSN programs (lasting 12 to 18 months) are available for individuals who have a Bachelor’s or higher degree in another field and who are interested in moving into nursing.
List of nursing schools and undergraduate programs
- RNs, ready to take your nursing career to the next level? Earn your BSN online with GCU.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- GCU's courses are taught by practicing nurses and experts who share knowledge and experience in areas of clinical patient care, healthcare management and professional nursing practice and leadership.
- Gain a comprehensive view of patient care principles to strengthen your ability to care for patients and take on hospital responsibilities with your BSN.
- Focus on family-centered healthcare, health history and physical examinations, applied health care statistics, nursing leadership and development and more.
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!