Even if you are already a registered nurse (RN), there are several advantages to getting a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) if you have the time and money to do it.
A bachelors degree in nursing will give you a solid foundation in the theory behind nursing and in how nursing practice fits into the overall environment of health care. Many of the best nursing jobs – specialties like Nurse Practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Nurse Administrator, and so on – require a BSN degree or even a Masters degree. And you can usually earn a higher salary after completing a BSN.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying online nursing at bachelor’s level, the colleges where you can study a BSN, the jobs prospects, and how much you can expect to earn after completion.
Studying a bachelor of science in nursing
A BSN program usually includes courses in: biological, physical, and social sciences, humanities, together with more specialized courses in health promotion, risk reduction, disease prevention, information technology, ethics, human diversity, management theory, and health care system and policies.
A very popular nursing program is the LPN to BSN program. This program builds on the basic education, skills, and experience of the LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) who wishes to transition to the professional nursing role. Note that the LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) and LPN are essentially the same credential.
Most BSN programs seem to be for Registered Nurses wishing to upgrade to a degree. Clearly, they have already done a substantial amount of the study involved in the bachelors degree, so they take a special program. Click here to read more about BSN programs for RNs.
Accelerated BSN programs (lasting 12 to 18 months) are available for individuals who have a Bachelor’s or higher degree in another field and who are interested in moving into nursing.
List of nursing schools and undergraduate programs
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option
- RNs, Earn Your Bachelor of Science in Nursing Online
- Tailored to meet the needs of the RN adult learner and to maximize the strengths that the working RN already posses
- The BSN at GCU is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- 5-week courses help you earn your degree in as little as 12 months
- GCU's accredited program is aligned to standards established by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!