Many future and current college students analyze the potential that a degree may hold for them, especially in today’s challenging economic environment. The economic downturn of 2008 made many business students and graduates wonder what their degrees would be worth. There are fortunately many rewarding opportunities available for those who hold associates, bachelors, and master degrees in a business-related field, and the higher the level of degree, the higher the earning potential for a professional. And of course, there is always the possibility of starting one’s own small business.
There are degrees to cover a broad spectrum of business disciplines, including accounting, finance, management, international business, human resources management, and marketing. Business programs open the doors to higher salaries than other majors do over time. This page helps you to find out where you can take suitable programs, what the trends are, what you can earn after graduation, and more …
What do I study in a business degree?
Students taking a bachelor’s in business will usually have to take statistics, economics, algebra, accounting, marketing, management, and finance courses as part of a general curriculum. They then have to take specialized courses in their major and minor, for example, a bachelor’s degree in business administration might include majors such as: Project Management; Business Information Systems; and, Technical Communication.
There are many new trends in the field of business education that students need to be aware of. The first is that a degree in business administration is by far the most popular choice amongst students. But within an administration degree one finds many specializations.
Health administration degrees are becoming more widespread. The demand for healthcare professionals, given the higher demand that aging baby boomers will have for medical services, will steadily increase in the next decade. Along with this increase will be more of a need for professionals who run medical offices, offices within hospitals, and more. This is where business health degrees come in.
Another hot trend in the field of business networking is that of social networking. The most popular social network sites provide solid forums where classmates and professors alike can post comments within minutes of posts going up. It is a phenomenon that was unheard of just a few years ago.
What are the prospects after graduation?
Those holding degrees in different business disciplines can expect to earn higher salaries than those with other majors do over time. The higher the level of degree, the more that a person earn. Some of the trends in business education include the prevalence of healthcare administration degrees, the increased demand for online learning classes, and the increasingly important role that social networking now plays in business programs across the country. There are general classes that all business majors take, including statistics, accounting, finance, marketing, and economics classes. Students then proceed to take more specialized classes in their major.
Your salary will depend on the level of the degree. According to reputable sources, those who have an associates degree can earn anywhere from US$32,000 to US$43,000 per year. Those with a bachelors can add up to US$5,000 more per year in earning potential, and those with a masters can earn up to US$11,000 per year more. Those with masters degrees tend to take on executive roles, and their earning capability has the potential to be limitless if they are aggressive and network extensively. Of course, all these salaries are also dependent on experience, location and the particular business.
On average, those who are in retail and hold degrees tend to see earnings on the lower end of the spectrum as described above. Those in finance, accounting, and marketing see some of the highest salaries and are on the higher end of the salary range as delineated previously. Entry level employees in any business field overall tend to make salaries spanning from US$30,000 to US$50,000, though there are many exceptions and salaries that fall out of this range.
List of business schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Master of Business Administration - Multidisciplinary
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- B.S. in Business Administration
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionalsin 24 months.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA in Business
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Communications
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Discover 31 bachelor’s and master’s degrees in all areas of business, including business administration, finance, Marketing, and more.
- 24 business degree programs are accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE).
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- BA/Business Administration - No Concentration
- MBA - No Specialization
- MBA - Marketing
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - International Business
The Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver has offered a top-quality business education since 1908. Through [email protected], students can earn a Daniels degree while continuing to pursue their personal and professional passions.
- Master of Business Administration
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Science in Management - Marketing
- Master of Science in Management - International Business
- Master of Science in Management - Business Analytics
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
Gain the skills needed to become a project manager in a highly acclaimed masters program.
- MS in Financial Management