This page links to campus universities and campus colleges in Canada and the US. It also provides some advice on choosing a suitable campus.
How do you choose which university or college to go to? There are several aspects to consider, including: subject area, personal visits, location, finances, extra-curricular activities, accommodation, learning support and the advice of others.
Clearly, you need to first find those universities and colleges offering campus training or campus study in the subject you are interested in. It is also important to check how strong the universities are in your chosen subject. Check the courses offered and the list of staff and their qualifications. But if initially you are not too clear about the exact subject you wish to study on campus, list those colleges and universities offering the general area of your interest.
The list of campus universities and programs at the foot of the page should help you find suitable schools. You can also use the search forms on this web site to help you a college campus or a university campus near you. The rest of the criteria listed below should narrow down the list.
Personal visits to campuses
In order to help make a judgement on each of the following criteria, you really need to visit each school campus on your list. Most university and college campuses organize open days, tours and talks. The admissions department of each university or college can usually provide details.
Location of campus
Most students prefer to find a campus within driving distance of home as this reduces the cost of returning home whenever required. They also prefer to be within the same state as this often has fee and other financial implications. Campuses are also located in very different settings. College life in an urban university is very different to that in ones located in college towns.
The cost of your higher education is clearly an mportant factor. You need to find out about and consider the difference between public and private fees, in-state versus out-of-state fees, and the financial aid that maybe available for a college or a program.
Although your primary aim should be to get your academic qualification, extra-curricular activities are also an important part of the university experience. Find out about:
- the student-mix – male:female ratio, national:international ratio, ages;
- social life – what is available and where is it based?
- music – orchestras, choirs, bands;
- sports – teams and the ranks, facilities available.
Most students seem to prefer to live in university or college dormitories or similar accommodation on-campus, especially in the first year. So you will need to find out about the quality and cost of these. Also find out about the quality and cost of renting privately-owned accommodation in the area. Checkout student views about this on the forums.
Learning resources and support at campus universities
In order to achieve your learning goals, you need effective learning support. So you need to look at class size, qualifications of academic staff, libraries, computer access, Internet access. You also need to consider health and welfare facilities.
The views of others
The campus school prospectus or website will give you a lot of information on the university or college. But for independent views on life at the different campuses you are interested in, try reading students reviews and comments on the Internet.
List of schools and programs
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Electronic Systems Technician (EST)
- Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Automotive Technology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA)
- Liberal Arts (BA)
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Motorsports Technology - Diploma
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Visual Arts (BFA)
- Web Design (C)
- Fashion Retailing (D)
- And more...
Aviation Institute of Maintenance schools are distinguished institutes committed to the education and personal enrichment of each student interested in the Aviation Industry. Students can succeed in our collegiate environment when properly motivated and taught to set goals in furthering their education. All aspects of our mechanic school are enriched with creating an atmosphere conducive to learning, while instilling a high degree of business ethics and professionalism.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Class "B" Training and Bus Training
- Class "A" Training
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Accounting Administration
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Health Information Technology
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
- And more...
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
At Universal Technical Institute (UTI), you won’t just train for a career. You’ll train for success. The hands-on training and high-tech skills you’ll get at UTI can put you on the fast track toward a rewarding career as a professional technician. Across the nation, you’ll find UTI-trained technicians working in great jobs with top manufacturers, dealerships and repair shops.
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.