With certified nurse aide training you can make a start in a career in nursing and feel a sense of achievement in your job. But what do certified nursing assistants do? A certified nursing aide or assistant (CNA) provides assistance to patients in their daily living tasks. They always work under the supervision of a licensed nurse (LPN or RN). A number of people are opting for a nurse aide training program in order to serve the society and get a sense of fulfillment. The training is usually for two to three months. If you are interested in starting a nursing career you might also want to consider a Patient Care Technician program.
The main factor that is emphasized in CNA programs is for the aide to learn and understand the meaning of patience taught to them on the very first day. The aide will come across a number of patients on different days with different disabilities. Patience is thus required so that the aide’s attitude and behavior does not hamper the recuperation of patients. This page has further details of the training programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are, and more …
What does a typical Certified Nurse Aide Training program cover?
In a certified nurse aide program, the student receives training on basic and a few advanced nursing skills. Initially, the aide is taught basic skills such as hand hygiene, checking the vital signs, giving a bath, changing bed covers, grooming and feeding patients. More theoretical aspects such as anatomy, physiology and nutrition are also introduced in the program.
Once the aide becomes comfortable with the practical hospital duties during the program, he or she may be asked to perform advanced skills. Lifting the patients to and from the bed or wheel chair in the best possible manner; helping the patient use urinal facilities; assisting in moving to bed or chair or walk; rules to follow these activities are taught by the RNA.
As the aide nears completion of the course, he or she is taught about collecting blood or urine or stool samples. First aid training to handle critical situations is also included. The other skills could be in the use of catheter or dealing with patients with extreme conditions like dementia, autism, spastics. Later in the program, the aide is made aware about the common physical therapy and simple motion exercises required for patients.
At the end of the nurse aide training program, a test is conducted on a written and clinical basis to evaluate the performance and competency of aide. After he or she is certified, the aide can join the league of CNAs to cater to the needs of the society. The certified nursing assistant exam can be different for each state or school.
What are the career prospects after certified nurse aide training?
There is always a need for people in nursing. A CNA training course can help those who wish to start a career in nursing. It can be pursued further with advanced courses to hone skills at serving and caring for the people in hospitals, community or during emergencies. The CNAs can be absorbed by the hospital where they worked. NGOs and community facilities that need their services can also be a souce of jobs. A certified nurse assistant salary is typically $23,000 to $32,000 per year.
List of schools and programs
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - 100% Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!