Many people who enjoy working with computers and programming find that they are able to enter fields that are both challenging and rewarding when they focus their education by taking a computer engineering degree. This degree combines knowledge from electrical engineering and computer science and applies it to the design of computer hardware and software. The degree is very versatile and can be used as the stepping stones to professions in other countries, teaching, or developing a business.
The demand for this profession will continue to grow and the ability to create computer programs and systems that will meet the needs of customers will provide excellent income potential to a person that possesses a computer engineering qualification. This page provides more details of where you can find these prestigious programs. Pursuing a computer engineering program online gives you the ability to expand your opportunities and increase your salary without disrupting your current income. You may also find some related programs in the computer science online programs page.
What is studied in a computer engineering degree?
The coursework of the online program is the same as a campus-based university program. A bachelors program will take four to five years to complete. The first couple of years are often the same as for other engineering programs, after which time students specialize in their chosen area.
Typically, computer engineering courses will include: electronics, control engineering, process control and instrumentation, computer architecture, database systems, computer networking, programming languages, Internet and web programming, wireless communication, and social and professional issues.
In most cases, the professor will maintain communication with the class and individual students via email, class discussion boards, and through telephone communication when a student has a question about coursework. There will probably be online group assignments as well as individual assignments.
In a typical masters in computer engineering, courses might include: algorithms, artificial intelligence, computer architecture, advanced microprocessor systems, microcontrollers in instrumentation, computer network design, and advanced operating systems.
A PhD in computer engineering would include some of the masters courses, but would also provide an opportunity for you to conduct research in an area of your choice. You would then write a thesis presenting your research results and defend this in front of a small panel of experts.
Employment for graduates of computer engineering
After attaining the degree, the ability to advance in your field will expand. Some people gain promotion in their company while others find new opportunities available that give them a greater salary. The salary, with the degree, will vary depending on the company you work for and your location. The average computer engineer salary in the United States for a bachelor of science degree in computer engineering is $56,000 – $73,000. With a masters in computer engineering, the range is from $62,000 to $85,000.
Virtually every industry needs computer engineers so many people who pursue this degree focus on a specific industry need that they can transfer to their current company or industry. Engineers at large, established technological corporations usually make more on average, between $84,000-$100,000 annually as opposed to industries that are service related.
The field of computer engineering is expanding and growing continually and your success in your computer engineering career will lie in your ability to maintain and update your knowledge in the field. Many companies provide incentives for staff who want to take a computer engineering degree. The incentives will often include assistance with the costs of school and more challenging positions after completion of the program.
The need for computer engineering professionals is becoming more prevalent in the health care industry as laws and regulations in the United States move toward systems that are completely electronic and integrated with medical records and support areas. The systems are intricate and provide the engineer with many challenges that are not seen in other industries.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Software Development Bachelors - Online
- Software Development Associates - Online
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Bachelor’s and Master’s level programs in digital investigations, information assurance and security, project management, and more.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- 8 out the top 20 employers of AIU graduates are Fortune 50 companies
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Systems Engineering
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering
- And more...
- Start Your Path to a New Career in Information Technology at Keiser University! On Campus & Online options available. Classes Starting Soon!
- Keiser University offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Information and Technology. Online and On campus options available.
- One class at a time schedule and flexible online and on campus options helps you fit education into your busy life.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- Keiser University offers practical learning experiences to prepare you for the modern workplace in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Information Technology - Master Degree
- Information Technology - Associate Degree
- Information Technology - Bachelor Degree
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Engineering Management
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Engineering Management
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- And more...
- The [email protected] is an online program designed for working professionals and can be completed in as little as 18 months.
- Live classes are held online and coursework is self-paced.
- Students in the [email protected] program have access to dedicated support services and join the Southern Methodist University (SMU) alumni network after graduation.
- Students attend an in-person immersion at the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas.
- The curriculum is truly interdisciplinary, bringing together subjects that data scientists use in the field every day.
- Coursework is pulled from three SMU schools: Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, Lyle School of Engineering and Meadows School of the Arts.
- M.S. in Data Science
- Love solving problems with technology? Make it into a career!
- Our bachelor's & master's degree programs are designed to prepare you with the skills and experience you need to pursue a career in the tech field!
- Choose your emphasis - information technology, computer programming, applied business analytics, business information systems & more.
- Our transfer-friendly bachelor's & master's degree programs are designed for traditional campus and online students.
- Whether your goal is to gain entry-level skills, switch to a technology career or simply strengthen your portfolio - GCU can help!
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and learn about our various technology-focused bachelor's & master's programs.
- B.S. in Information Technology
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- MIT ENTREPRENEURSHIP ONLINE BOOTCAMP
- FROM IDEA TO STARTUP IN 8 WEEKS
- Machine Learning