Many people who enjoy working with computers and programming find that they are able to enter fields that are both challenging and rewarding when they focus their education by taking a computer engineering degree. This degree combines knowledge from electrical engineering and computer science and applies it to the design of computer hardware and software. The degree is very versatile and can be used as the stepping stones to professions in other countries, teaching, or developing a business.
The demand for this profession will continue to grow and the ability to create computer programs and systems that will meet the needs of customers will provide excellent income potential to a person that possesses a computer engineering qualification. This page provides more details of where you can find these prestigious programs. Pursuing a computer engineering program online gives you the ability to expand your opportunities and increase your salary without disrupting your current income. You may also find some related programs in the computer science online programs page.
What is studied in a computer engineering degree?
The coursework of the online program is the same as a campus-based university program. A bachelors program will take four to five years to complete. The first couple of years are often the same as for other engineering programs, after which time students specialize in their chosen area.
Typically, computer engineering courses will include: electronics, control engineering, process control and instrumentation, computer architecture, database systems, computer networking, programming languages, Internet and web programming, wireless communication, and social and professional issues.
In most cases, the professor will maintain communication with the class and individual students via email, class discussion boards, and through telephone communication when a student has a question about coursework. There will probably be online group assignments as well as individual assignments.
In a typical masters in computer engineering, courses might include: algorithms, artificial intelligence, computer architecture, advanced microprocessor systems, microcontrollers in instrumentation, computer network design, and advanced operating systems.
A PhD in computer engineering would include some of the masters courses, but would also provide an opportunity for you to conduct research in an area of your choice. You would then write a thesis presenting your research results and defend this in front of a small panel of experts.
Employment for graduates of computer engineering
After attaining the degree, the ability to advance in your field will expand. Some people gain promotion in their company while others find new opportunities available that give them a greater salary. The salary, with the degree, will vary depending on the company you work for and your location. The average computer engineer salary in the United States for a bachelor of science degree in computer engineering is $56,000 – $73,000. With a masters in computer engineering, the range is from $62,000 to $85,000.
Virtually every industry needs computer engineers so many people who pursue this degree focus on a specific industry need that they can transfer to their current company or industry. Engineers at large, established technological corporations usually make more on average, between $84,000-$100,000 annually as opposed to industries that are service related.
The field of computer engineering is expanding and growing continually and your success in your computer engineering career will lie in your ability to maintain and update your knowledge in the field. Many companies provide incentives for staff who want to take a computer engineering degree. The incentives will often include assistance with the costs of school and more challenging positions after completion of the program.
The need for computer engineering professionals is becoming more prevalent in the health care industry as laws and regulations in the United States move toward systems that are completely electronic and integrated with medical records and support areas. The systems are intricate and provide the engineer with many challenges that are not seen in other industries.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- And more...
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Computer Science Bachelors - Online
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Information Technology
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology
- And more...
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- BS: Software Engineering
- BS: Computer Science
- AA: Information Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Computer Science: Cyber-Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Software Design & Management
- And more...
Empowering your journey starts here!
Join the hundreds for graduates from a Woz U Powered program who have landed a job in tech.
- Software Developer
- Data Science
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Engineering Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- And more...
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science - Computer Information Systems
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!