Computer information systems degrees provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a career at the forefront of change. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has estimated that information technology is one of the fastest growing fields in the economy. This means that organizations require trained personnel in the field if they are to stay head in the global, competitive environment. Well-paid computer information systems jobs can be found in: computer design services, insurance companies, software publishers, data processing services, securities and commodities companies, telecommunications, and financial institutions.
Getting a computer information systems degree is a crucial ingredient to success, providing a valuable education to get started in the technology field. It will provide you with the technical and business skills that are necessary to help you understand and use technology to your benefit in a computer information systems career. Computer information systems programs are available at the certificate, associate, bachelor’s and master’s level. This page has more details of the programs, the schools, career prospects, and more. You might also like to check the information systems degrees page.
What do you study in computer information systems degrees?
Those who enroll in a degree in computer information systems will find that it is a science-intensive degree. Students will also be required to take a number of courses on computer systems and software, to learn how to make sure these systems are operating correctly and working well together. Courses might include: data communications, networking, computer programming (including SQL and other database query and programming languages), telecommunications technologies, hardware and software, and systems development and analysis. Some programs offer training in proprietary software, such as Cisco, Microsoft, or Oracle. You will also probably have a few management courses as well.
A bachelor of computer information systems degree program will often offer specializations in areas such as: business management, management, enterprise computing, health information systems, information systems security, systems analysis and integration, computer forensics, web development and administration, web game programming. You might also like to consider management information systems (MIS) which cover the skills to be able to manage data systems and use technology tools for more effective management of businesses.
You can also get a Computer Information Systems (CIS) certificate after having graduated with a different degree, or in a different specialization. These certificate programs enable you to specialize and obtain expertise in certain areas such: End User Support Specialist, Network Specialist, Database Analyst, Programmer/Analyst, or Web Developer. Students who choose to get this certification after getting their degree will find that they have the advantage when it comes to the job market. It usually takes around one year to complete this certification.
What are the prospects for graduates with computer information systems degrees?
With the rapid development of new applications of technology, to remain competitive, organizations require trained personnel to install sophisticated computer networks and set up more complex intranets and websites. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment growth for Network systems analysts and Computer systems analyst through to 2016 is expected to be around 30 percent. Salaries range from around $30,000 for those at the lower end of the field (receptionists and information clerks) to well over $100,000 for those who are in more specialized fields, such as those who are information systems managers or involved in research and science. Software publishers $126,840
Computer systems design and related services $118,120. It is a very well paying field, overall, but keep in mind that it takes a good education to get involved in it.
Many will choose to advance their career after a few years of working in this field. A Masters degree can be easily found online, and the individual can continue working and gaining experience while training for better career opportunities in the future. The demand for Information Systems Managers is growing rapidly in the United States, and this is a job that requires a Masters degree in most cases. These individuals usually make an average of $112,210 annually.
List of schools and programs
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- And more...
- Start Your Path to a New Career in Information Technology at Keiser University! On Campus & Online options available. Classes Starting Soon!
- Keiser University offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Information and Technology. Online and On campus options available.
- One class at a time schedule and flexible online and on campus options helps you fit education into your busy life.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- Keiser University offers practical learning experiences to prepare you for the modern workplace in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Information Technology - Master Degree
- Information Technology - Associate Degree
- Information Technology - Bachelor Degree
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Systems Engineering
- And more...
- Grand Canyon University's online technology programs offer a premier educational experience designed to lead you to a career in science, technology, engineering and math.
- The College of Science, Engineering and Technology strives to create a challenging and engaging, inquiry-based learning environment.
- Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, such as cybersecurity, computer programming, information technology, business analytics and more.
- GCU's education nurtures and supports a Christian worldview, which informs ethical decision-making.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Cloud Technologies Associates - Online
- Software Development Bachelors - Online
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) - IT Project Management
- And more...
- MIT ENTREPRENEURSHIP ONLINE BOOTCAMP
- FROM IDEA TO STARTUP IN 8 WEEKS
- Machine Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!