Computer information systems degrees provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a career at the forefront of change. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has estimated that information technology is one of the fastest growing fields in the economy. This means that organizations require trained personnel in the field if they are to stay head in the global, competitive environment. Well-paid computer information systems jobs can be found in: computer design services, insurance companies, software publishers, data processing services, securities and commodities companies, telecommunications, and financial institutions.
Getting a computer information systems degree is a crucial ingredient to success, providing a valuable education to get started in the technology field. It will provide you with the technical and business skills that are necessary to help you understand and use technology to your benefit in a computer information systems career. Computer information systems programs are available at the certificate, associate, bachelor’s and master’s level. This page has more details of the programs, the schools, career prospects, and more. You might also like to check the information systems degrees page.
What do you study in computer information systems degrees?
Those who enroll in a degree in computer information systems will find that it is a science-intensive degree. Students will also be required to take a number of courses on computer systems and software, to learn how to make sure these systems are operating correctly and working well together. Courses might include: data communications, networking, computer programming (including SQL and other database query and programming languages), telecommunications technologies, hardware and software, and systems development and analysis. Some programs offer training in proprietary software, such as Cisco, Microsoft, or Oracle. You will also probably have a few management courses as well.
A bachelor of computer information systems degree program will often offer specializations in areas such as: business management, management, enterprise computing, health information systems, information systems security, systems analysis and integration, computer forensics, web development and administration, web game programming. You might also like to consider management information systems (MIS) which cover the skills to be able to manage data systems and use technology tools for more effective management of businesses.
You can also get a Computer Information Systems (CIS) certificate after having graduated with a different degree, or in a different specialization. These certificate programs enable you to specialize and obtain expertise in certain areas such: End User Support Specialist, Network Specialist, Database Analyst, Programmer/Analyst, or Web Developer. Students who choose to get this certification after getting their degree will find that they have the advantage when it comes to the job market. It usually takes around one year to complete this certification.
What are the prospects for graduates with computer information systems degrees?
With the rapid development of new applications of technology, to remain competitive, organizations require trained personnel to install sophisticated computer networks and set up more complex intranets and websites. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment growth for Network systems analysts and Computer systems analyst through to 2016 is expected to be around 30 percent. Salaries range from around $30,000 for those at the lower end of the field (receptionists and information clerks) to well over $100,000 for those who are in more specialized fields, such as those who are information systems managers or involved in research and science. Software publishers $126,840
Computer systems design and related services $118,120. It is a very well paying field, overall, but keep in mind that it takes a good education to get involved in it.
Many will choose to advance their career after a few years of working in this field. A Masters degree can be easily found online, and the individual can continue working and gaining experience while training for better career opportunities in the future. The demand for Information Systems Managers is growing rapidly in the United States, and this is a job that requires a Masters degree in most cases. These individuals usually make an average of $112,210 annually.
List of schools and programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Software Design & Management
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- AA: Information Technology
- BS: Computer Science
- BS: Software Engineering
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) - IT Project Management
- And more...
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Information Technology Bachelors- Online
- Computer Science Bachelors - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!