The field of computer science is a highly competitive one which is changing constantly as modern technology changes and improves. Thus, those in this field will need to have a good education with a mind that is open to change and to learning new procedures and programs.
Students should keep in mind that while added education will offer them higher paying job opportunities, obtaining a good education will also come at great expense. Some may wish to get an online degree and then get some field experience before going on to get a masters and possibly a doctorate. While higher paying jobs are available, one will also have those student loans to consider, so spreading the schooling out over ones career may be a good plan for some. Taking a computer science online program allows students to do this because they can study whilst working.
This page provides more details of computer science programs, where you can take them, the prospects, and more. You may also like to check out the IT programs and jobs page for more details of programs and careers.
What is studied in computer science degrees?
Those in the field of computer science need to have a good working knowledge of computer programming, systems analysis, networking, telecommunications, software applications, and web site design and development. Though most schools will have course work in this field, many will choose computer science online programs for their convenience.
There are many schools that offer training in the area of computer science, from small community colleges to technical schools and large universities. Online programs are also a growing field that offers students greater flexibility for their class schedule. Certification and associate programs are also available from a number of institutions which may offer more specific training for those considering a specialized field of computer science.
A computer science bachelor program usually includes courses in computational science; computing theory; computer architecture; data structures; software development and engineering; computer networks; computer development; programming languages, including C, C++, Pascal and Java; and, applications to a variety of end-use situations.
Employment for graduates of computer science programs
In recent years, the rapid range of growth in the field of computers and information technology has created an overwhelming need for professionals who are educated in this field. Bill Gates actually made a speech concerning his sentiments about whether there were enough home grown computer science talent to fill the jobs in America. Some companies are actually turning to outsourcing overseas. There is a high demand for these jobs, which are also quite well paying.
The IT employment market in America is already extremely high – and the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the need for computer scientists will continue to grow by about 40% through to 2014. Some of the fastest growing jobs include: computer systems software engineer, computer applications software engineer, computer systems analyst, database administrator, and network systems and data communication analyst. These jobs also boast high salaries, ranging from $60,000 up to $81,000. Those with more experience can expect higher salaries, some earning over $100,000 yearly.
Graduates of computer science bachelor programs are employed in a variety of fields, and are often quickly snatched up immediately following graduation. Agricultural, health care, software, financial, consumer, and government companies have computer science requirements and are in need of those skilled in this area.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- AASIT - Programming and Software Development
- BSIT - Programming and Software Development
- MS in Information Technology
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Bachelor's
- And more...
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Application Programming
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Systems Engineering
- And more...
- Software Development Bachelors - Online
- Software Development Associates - Online
- Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Engineering Management
- And more...
- Start Your Path to a New Career in Information Technology at Keiser University! On Campus & Online options available. Classes Starting Soon!
- Keiser University offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Information and Technology. Online and On campus options available.
- One class at a time schedule and flexible online and on campus options helps you fit education into your busy life.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- Keiser University offers practical learning experiences to prepare you for the modern workplace in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Information Technology - Master Degree
- Information Technology - Associate Degree
- Information Technology - Bachelor Degree
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Live online classes: All classes are held weekly on a face-to-face video platform and are kept small, with a low student-to-faculty ratio.
- Renowned faculty: The program is designed by many of the same School of Information (I School) faculty and data science professionals who teach our on-campus programs.
- Multidisciplinary curriculum: Course work is designed with a project-based approach, encouraging the application of tools and methods to solve problems.
- UC Berkeley community: Students gain access to the UC Berkeley I School community, including technical support, academic support, and the university’s vast alumni network.
- Master of Information and Data Science