The field of computer science is a highly competitive one which is changing constantly as modern technology changes and improves. Thus, those in this field will need to have a good education with a mind that is open to change and to learning new procedures and programs.
Students should keep in mind that while added education will offer them higher paying job opportunities, obtaining a good education will also come at great expense. Some may wish to get an online degree and then get some field experience before going on to get a masters and possibly a doctorate. While higher paying jobs are available, one will also have those student loans to consider, so spreading the schooling out over ones career may be a good plan for some. Taking a computer science online program allows students to do this because they can study whilst working.
This page provides more details of computer science programs, where you can take them, the prospects, and more. You may also like to check out the IT programs and jobs page for more details of programs and careers.
What is studied in computer science degrees?
Those in the field of computer science need to have a good working knowledge of computer programming, systems analysis, networking, telecommunications, software applications, and web site design and development. Though most schools will have course work in this field, many will choose computer science online programs for their convenience.
There are many schools that offer training in the area of computer science, from small community colleges to technical schools and large universities. Online programs are also a growing field that offers students greater flexibility for their class schedule. Certification and associate programs are also available from a number of institutions which may offer more specific training for those considering a specialized field of computer science.
A computer science bachelor program usually includes courses in computational science; computing theory; computer architecture; data structures; software development and engineering; computer networks; computer development; programming languages, including C, C++, Pascal and Java; and, applications to a variety of end-use situations.
Employment for graduates of computer science programs
In recent years, the rapid range of growth in the field of computers and information technology has created an overwhelming need for professionals who are educated in this field. Bill Gates actually made a speech concerning his sentiments about whether there were enough home grown computer science talent to fill the jobs in America. Some companies are actually turning to outsourcing overseas. There is a high demand for these jobs, which are also quite well paying.
The IT employment market in America is already extremely high – and the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the need for computer scientists will continue to grow by about 40% through to 2014. Some of the fastest growing jobs include: computer systems software engineer, computer applications software engineer, computer systems analyst, database administrator, and network systems and data communication analyst. These jobs also boast high salaries, ranging from $60,000 up to $81,000. Those with more experience can expect higher salaries, some earning over $100,000 yearly.
Graduates of computer science bachelor programs are employed in a variety of fields, and are often quickly snatched up immediately following graduation. Agricultural, health care, software, financial, consumer, and government companies have computer science requirements and are in need of those skilled in this area.
List of schools and programs
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Computer Science Bachelors - Online
- Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - General
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Engineering Management
- Data Science - MS
- And more...