The field of computer science is a highly competitive one which is changing constantly as modern technology changes and improves. Thus, those in this field will need to have a good education with a mind that is open to change and to learning new procedures and programs.
Students should keep in mind that while added education will offer them higher paying job opportunities, obtaining a good education will also come at great expense. Some may wish to get an online degree and then get some field experience before going on to get a masters and possibly a doctorate. While higher paying jobs are available, one will also have those student loans to consider, so spreading the schooling out over ones career may be a good plan for some. Taking a computer science online program allows students to do this because they can study whilst working.
This page provides more details of computer science programs, where you can take them, the prospects, and more. You may also like to check out the IT programs and jobs page for more details of programs and careers.
What is studied in computer science degrees?
Those in the field of computer science need to have a good working knowledge of computer programming, systems analysis, networking, telecommunications, software applications, and web site design and development. Though most schools will have course work in this field, many will choose computer science online programs for their convenience.
There are many schools that offer training in the area of computer science, from small community colleges to technical schools and large universities. Online programs are also a growing field that offers students greater flexibility for their class schedule. Certification and associate programs are also available from a number of institutions which may offer more specific training for those considering a specialized field of computer science.
A computer science bachelor program usually includes courses in computational science; computing theory; computer architecture; data structures; software development and engineering; computer networks; computer development; programming languages, including C, C++, Pascal and Java; and, applications to a variety of end-use situations.
Employment for graduates of computer science programs
In recent years, the rapid range of growth in the field of computers and information technology has created an overwhelming need for professionals who are educated in this field. Bill Gates actually made a speech concerning his sentiments about whether there were enough home grown computer science talent to fill the jobs in America. Some companies are actually turning to outsourcing overseas. There is a high demand for these jobs, which are also quite well paying.
The IT employment market in America is already extremely high – and the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the need for computer scientists will continue to grow by about 40% through to 2014. Some of the fastest growing jobs include: computer systems software engineer, computer applications software engineer, computer systems analyst, database administrator, and network systems and data communication analyst. These jobs also boast high salaries, ranging from $60,000 up to $81,000. Those with more experience can expect higher salaries, some earning over $100,000 yearly.
Graduates of computer science bachelor programs are employed in a variety of fields, and are often quickly snatched up immediately following graduation. Agricultural, health care, software, financial, consumer, and government companies have computer science requirements and are in need of those skilled in this area.
List of schools and programs
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Software Development Bachelors - Online
- Software Development Associates - Online
- Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Information Systems -Technology Management
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Software Design & Management
- Love solving problems with technology? Make it into a career!
- Our bachelor's & master's degree programs are designed to prepare you with the skills and experience you need to pursue a career in the tech field!
- Choose your emphasis - information technology, computer programming, applied business analytics, business information systems & more.
- Our transfer-friendly bachelor's & master's degree programs are designed for traditional campus and online students.
- Whether your goal is to gain entry-level skills, switch to a technology career or simply strengthen your portfolio - GCU can help!
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and learn about our various technology-focused bachelor's & master's programs.
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Associate's
- Live online classes: All classes are held weekly on a face-to-face video platform and are kept small, with a low student-to-faculty ratio.
- Renowned faculty: The program is designed by many of the same School of Information (I School) faculty and data science professionals who teach our on-campus programs.
- Multidisciplinary curriculum: Course work is designed with a project-based approach, encouraging the application of tools and methods to solve problems.
- UC Berkeley community: Students gain access to the UC Berkeley I School community, including technical support, academic support, and the university’s vast alumni network.
- Master of Information and Data Science
- The [email protected] is an online program designed for working professionals and can be completed in as little as 18 months.
- Live classes are held online and coursework is self-paced.
- Students in the [email protected] program have access to dedicated support services and join the Southern Methodist University (SMU) alumni network after graduation.
- Students attend an in-person immersion at the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas.
- The curriculum is truly interdisciplinary, bringing together subjects that data scientists use in the field every day.
- Coursework is pulled from three SMU schools: Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, Lyle School of Engineering and Meadows School of the Arts.
- M.S. in Data Science
The online Master of Science in Data Science from the University of Denver Ritchie School prepares students to build the tools that collect data and use evaluation strategies to make critical business, research, and policy decisions. The program is designed for students of all academic backgrounds and offers four bridge courses to provide them with the programming skills they need to start classes. A bachelor’s degree is required to apply.
- Master's in Data Science
- Value investing is an investment approach that helps investors identify, research, and buy securities priced well below their true market value. Enroll today.
- The Value Investing (Online) program provides you with an integrated framework that teaches you how to identify opportunities for investment that others may miss. Apply Now.
- The Value Investing (Online) program is designed to give you a strong foundation in one of the most successful investment strategies ever developed.
- Follow in the footsteps of legendary investors like Warren Buffett and Mario Gabelli, who have been guided by these principles during their entire career.
- Machine Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!