Are you interested in becoming a police officer, or a private detective or a private investigator? Or perhaps working for the United States government in security? If you are interested in working in the field of law enforcement or a related area, then a criminal justice degree program may be the right one for you. Since CSI and similar television programs have become so popular, there has been an increase in interest in criminal justice online programs.
Criminal justice is the law enforcement system that deals with the apprehension, prosecution, defense, sentencing and incarceration of those suspected or charged with committing a crime. The criminal justice system consists of three main agencies: (1) law enforcement (police); (2) adjudication (courts); and (3) corrections (jails, prisons, probation and parole). So studying criminal justice programs can offer a range of jobs in any of these agencies, e.g., as a drug enforcement officer, police officer, sheriff, probation officer, substance abuse counselor, and even in forensic accounting.
Criminal justice can be studied online at all levels, certificate to PhD. This page describes these programs, and outlines the criminal justice careers options and prospects.
What do you study in criminal justice online programs?
Online criminal justice courses that you may be required to take in a criminal justice degree program might include: criminal justice systems; criminology; computer crime (cyber crime); corporate and white collar crime; correctional facilities; domestic violence; drug trade and trafficking; ethics; forensic psychology; jurisprudence and juvenile corrections; legal rights of offenders; mediation, dispute management, and negotiation training; police department organization; public and private safety; technology in criminal justice; terrorism and counter-terrorism.
What are the career prospects for graduates?
The demand for qualified and efficient personnel in the field of criminal justice is on the rise. Depending on the level of their experience, graduates of criminal justice programs will be eligible for a jobs in:
- state and local government agencies as local law enforcement officers, state troopers, SBI agents, arson specialists and fingerprinting specialists;
- military and defense agencies as military police officers and investigators;
- federal agencies like the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms), DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency), CIA, FBI, the Secret Service, Customs, and the Border Patrol;
- the corrections department as wardens, corrections, parole, and probation officers;
- criminology as criminologists, crime scene investigators, and forensic scientists;
- white-collar crime detection and prevention (including cyber crime);
- the private sector as detectives, investigators and security specialists;
- the legal profession as legal assistants and secretaries, paralegals, court administrators. Criminal justice degrees can also be good to lead into the law degree that is necessary to work as lawyers, judges, and magistrates;
- colleges and universities as lecturers and professors – a criminal justice online masters degree or even an online criminal justice PhD is necessary for a lecturing job in a university or college.
Criminal justice careers salaries vary widely according to the agency and job, e.g., from a probation officer with a median salary of $41,000, through a police patrol officer with a salary of $48,000, to an FBI agent with a median salary in excess of $70,000.
List of schools and programs
- Post University has trained thousands of successful professionals in Criminal Justice
- Find concentrations in Legal Studies, Correctional Counseling & more
- 100% online Criminal Justice B.S. degree
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Does Justice Studies and Criminal Justice interest you? Study these subjects and earn your Bachelor or Master of Science degree from Grand Canyon University!
- Pursue or expand on your career in law enforcement, government, social work, or political science.
- Convenience: Bachelor's courses can be completed online, on campus, or a combination of both! Master's courses can be completed online!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Speak to an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- A unique program focused on the real-world application of criminological principles
- Find courses in Law Enforcement, Security, Anti-terrorism, Corrections, & more
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Ranked one of the best colleges for vets by Military Times 7 years in a row
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
- Homeland Security - Bachelor's
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Arts in Government - Pre-Law
- Master of Public Administration in Law
- And more...
- Bachelor’s and master’s programs in Criminal Justice available
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Criminal Justice Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2017
- Concentrations include Forensics, Homeland Security, and Cybercrime and Security
- Students study law enforcement operations, corrections, and criminal investigation
- Doctor of Management - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Criminal Justice - D.B.A.
- Homeland Security Leadership & Policy - D.B.A.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Forensic Science, Law Enforcement, Policing, Homeland Security and National Defense, and Criminal Justice Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!