Are you interested in becoming a police officer, or a private detective or a private investigator? Or perhaps working for the United States government in security? If you are interested in working in the field of law enforcement or a related area, then a criminal justice degree program may be the right one for you. Since CSI and similar television programs have become so popular, there has been an increase in interest in criminal justice online programs.
Criminal justice is the law enforcement system that deals with the apprehension, prosecution, defense, sentencing and incarceration of those suspected or charged with committing a crime. The criminal justice system consists of three main agencies: (1) law enforcement (police); (2) adjudication (courts); and (3) corrections (jails, prisons, probation and parole). So studying criminal justice programs can offer a range of jobs in any of these agencies, e.g., as a drug enforcement officer, police officer, sheriff, probation officer, substance abuse counselor, and even in forensic accounting.
Criminal justice can be studied online at all levels, certificate to PhD. This page describes these programs, and outlines the criminal justice careers options and prospects.
What do you study in criminal justice online programs?
Online criminal justice courses that you may be required to take in a criminal justice degree program might include: criminal justice systems; criminology; computer crime (cyber crime); corporate and white collar crime; correctional facilities; domestic violence; drug trade and trafficking; ethics; forensic psychology; jurisprudence and juvenile corrections; legal rights of offenders; mediation, dispute management, and negotiation training; police department organization; public and private safety; technology in criminal justice; terrorism and counter-terrorism.
What are the career prospects for graduates?
The demand for qualified and efficient personnel in the field of criminal justice is on the rise. Depending on the level of their experience, graduates of criminal justice programs will be eligible for a jobs in:
- state and local government agencies as local law enforcement officers, state troopers, SBI agents, arson specialists and fingerprinting specialists;
- military and defense agencies as military police officers and investigators;
- federal agencies like the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms), DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency), CIA, FBI, the Secret Service, Customs, and the Border Patrol;
- the corrections department as wardens, corrections, parole, and probation officers;
- criminology as criminologists, crime scene investigators, and forensic scientists;
- white-collar crime detection and prevention (including cyber crime);
- the private sector as detectives, investigators and security specialists;
- the legal profession as legal assistants and secretaries, paralegals, court administrators. Criminal justice degrees can also be good to lead into the law degree that is necessary to work as lawyers, judges, and magistrates;
- colleges and universities as lecturers and professors – a criminal justice online masters degree or even an online criminal justice PhD is necessary for a lecturing job in a university or college.
Criminal justice careers salaries vary widely according to the agency and job, e.g., from a probation officer with a median salary of $41,000, through a police patrol officer with a salary of $48,000, to an FBI agent with a median salary in excess of $70,000.
List of schools and programs
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Arts in Government - Pre-Law
- Master of Public Administration in Law
- And more...
- Post University has trained thousands of successful professionals in Criminal Justice
- Find concentrations in Legal Studies, Correctional Counseling & more
- 100% online Criminal Justice B.S. degree
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Choose from bachelor’s degrees in homeland security and emergency management, law enforcement administration, or social and criminal justice.
- A Master of Science in Criminal Justice is also available.
- Explore the impact of crime, different approaches to combat crime, and strategies to respond to emergency situations.
- Degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- MS/Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- MS/Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement and Corrections Administration
- MS Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Passionate about law and the justice system? Pursue a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Criminal Justice online from Grand Canyon University.
- GCU's Bachelor of Science in Justice Studies and Master of Science in Criminal Justice are designed to prepare students to serve the needs of 21st century communities.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn your criminal justice degree.
- If you are interested in growing your skills in crime analysis and strategic planning, consider earning a degree in criminal justice.
- Grand Canyon University prepares learners to become global citizens, critical thinkers, effective communicators & responsible leaders by providing an academically challenging curriculum.
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
- Homeland Security - Bachelor's
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Criminal Justice - MBA
- Criminal Justice - D.B.A.
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Criminal Justice Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!