A cyber security degree can lead to an exciting, challenging and rewarding career. With cyber crimes on the rise this is one of the fastest growing career fields in the world. Areas of study related to this field include: computer security, network security, information security, information technology, criminal justice, and computer systems analysis. All of these fields deal with the same infrastructure designed around computers and the Internet which has become a worldwide information network. This infrastructure has now become essential to the conduct of business, but it is very vulnerable. As a result, significant portions of governmental and corporate budgets are devoted to ensuring the protection of their computer systems against computer crime.
This page tell you more about studying programs in this field, where they can be found, the career prospects, and more …
What do you study in a cyber-security degree?
A typical bachelors degree may include foundation courses in: computer programming, data communications, telecommunication, control systems, and specific computer security courses in: security management, cryptography. computer operation security, network security, computer law, discovery recovery planning, analyzing security policies, evaluating risk assessment techniques, and creating and implementing disaster recovery plans.
A typical masters will include courses in: network administration, information security, cryptography, cyber-law, cyber-terrorism, intrusion detection, forensics, viral activity, and firewall management.
What jobs do graduates get?
The attacks on vital computer systems continue to proliferate. Hackers have become very sophisticated in recent years, doing everything from illegally entering banking systems to stealing credit cards. Studies have shown that there is a significant shortage of talent in this field to combat these attacks. One of the newest jobs on the market today is cyber security.
Computer or cyber security is a new and growing field. It is one of the fastest growing areas is in the corporate sector due to the fact so much information is now kept within computers. In Washington, DC alone an anticipated 30,000 jobs will be made available in the field next year. As a result, job opportunities will continue to increase for the next several years. What this means for those with an education in this field is that the best paying jobs with the best working conditions will be available. For example, at a recent science fair in New York City, Boeing selected six graduates from a team and hired them on the spot as computer-security experts for their organization.
To enter the field some form of certification will be required. Although some of the positions within this field require only associate degree or basic certifications, there are many others that will require bachelors, masters, or doctorate level education specific to computer security. The degrees required will vary significantly depending on the positions selected. With a degree in this field graduates can pursue computer security careers (in areas such as disaster recovery analysis, network security engineering, IS security management) in law enforcement, utility companies, homeland security, federal law enforcement, and even in the military. A masters graduate might seek jobs involving the security management of LAN, WLAN, and WAN environments.
This is a fairly new career and salary ranges are quite high. However, as more and more graduates exit programs it will become a much more competitive field. Currently with a computer security degree one can expect to earn at least $50,000 annually. With a computer security masters one can earn up to $80,000. And at the doctoral level one could expect a three figure income every year.
List of schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Information Technology with an Emphasis in Cybersecurity
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - Information Security
- Bachelor’s and master’s programs in Criminal Justice available
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Criminal Justice Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2017
- Concentrations include Forensics, Homeland Security, and Cybercrime and Security
- Students study law enforcement operations, corrections, and criminal investigation
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity Policy
- Bachelor of Science in Management - Cybersecurity Management
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security Information Assurance
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Master of Science in Criminal Justice, and more.
- Advanced degrees in criminal justice help working professionals stay up to date on the latest law enforcement practices.
- Some programs offer the opportunity for hands-on experience working on real criminal cases.
- Flexible online and campus-based programs available.
- BS in Cybersecurity
- MS in Cybersecurity Management
- BS in Information Technology - Information Security and Assurance
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (MIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Digital Investigation
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Forensic Science, Law Enforcement, Policing, Homeland Security and National Defense, and Criminal Justice Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!