A cyber security degree can lead to an exciting, challenging and rewarding career. With cyber crimes on the rise this is one of the fastest growing career fields in the world. Areas of study related to this field include: computer security, network security, information security, information technology, criminal justice, and computer systems analysis. All of these fields deal with the same infrastructure designed around computers and the Internet which has become a worldwide information network. This infrastructure has now become essential to the conduct of business, but it is very vulnerable. As a result, significant portions of governmental and corporate budgets are devoted to ensuring the protection of their computer systems against computer crime.
This page tell you more about studying programs in this field, where they can be found, the career prospects, and more …
What do you study in a cyber-security degree?
A typical bachelors degree may include foundation courses in: computer programming, data communications, telecommunication, control systems, and specific computer security courses in: security management, cryptography. computer operation security, network security, computer law, discovery recovery planning, analyzing security policies, evaluating risk assessment techniques, and creating and implementing disaster recovery plans.
A typical masters will include courses in: network administration, information security, cryptography, cyber-law, cyber-terrorism, intrusion detection, forensics, viral activity, and firewall management.
What jobs do graduates get?
The attacks on vital computer systems continue to proliferate. Hackers have become very sophisticated in recent years, doing everything from illegally entering banking systems to stealing credit cards. Studies have shown that there is a significant shortage of talent in this field to combat these attacks. One of the newest jobs on the market today is cyber security.
Computer or cyber security is a new and growing field. It is one of the fastest growing areas is in the corporate sector due to the fact so much information is now kept within computers. In Washington, DC alone an anticipated 30,000 jobs will be made available in the field next year. As a result, job opportunities will continue to increase for the next several years. What this means for those with an education in this field is that the best paying jobs with the best working conditions will be available. For example, at a recent science fair in New York City, Boeing selected six graduates from a team and hired them on the spot as computer-security experts for their organization.
To enter the field some form of certification will be required. Although some of the positions within this field require only associate degree or basic certifications, there are many others that will require bachelors, masters, or doctorate level education specific to computer security. The degrees required will vary significantly depending on the positions selected. With a degree in this field graduates can pursue computer security careers (in areas such as disaster recovery analysis, network security engineering, IS security management) in law enforcement, utility companies, homeland security, federal law enforcement, and even in the military. A masters graduate might seek jobs involving the security management of LAN, WLAN, and WAN environments.
This is a fairly new career and salary ranges are quite high. However, as more and more graduates exit programs it will become a much more competitive field. Currently with a computer security degree one can expect to earn at least $50,000 annually. With a computer security masters one can earn up to $80,000. And at the doctoral level one could expect a three figure income every year.
List of schools and programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Information Technology with an Emphasis in Cybersecurity
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - Information Security
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Cyber Security
- MS in Information Systems - Information Assurance
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Computer and Information Security - MBA
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- Looking for an Online Criminal Justice Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!