If you enjoy working with numbers and figures, then you might like to pursue a career in economics and work in the field of money management. This field requires people who are sharp, critical thinkers. They will conduct surveys and create statistical data. They will analyze how people will create services and goods by allocating resources like labor, land and technology. They will monitor inflation, costs and exchange rates to further the business conducted by the company that has hired them. In these uncertain financial times the need for economists is even greater.
There are many career options for someone with a degree in economics, including: investment banking, high finance, accounting, and personal finance consulting. This page helps you find out more about the programs, what the courses include, where you can take them, the career prospects, and what you can expect to earn after completion of your degree. You might also like to look at the finance degree page.
What is studied in a degree in economics?
Businesses rely on having every aspect of their financial dealings worked to perfection, ensuring they are receiving the highest profit and the best quality products and services. This requires clear thinking and a sound knowledge of mathematics. Mathematics and statistics underpin econometrics, which is the quantitative analysis of actual economic phenomena.
A bachelor degree will provide courses that teach a student the fundamentals of economics. They will be trained to analyze critical data and make financial decisions based on the results of their analysis. They will be taught the necessary tools to deal with issues and will have a good understanding of how money works in society.
A graduate would have a choice of different possible careers in economics. A program of study would include courses dealing with taxes, statistics, corporate and industrial organizational strategy, marketing, and, of course, accounting. If a student has a particular industry in mind that he or she would like to work in, it is wise to get as much background education and knowledge in that industry alongside the money and financial aspect. For any student interested in studying economics at graduate level, it is possible to obtain an economics masters degree or a PhD in economics.
What jobs are there for graduates?
An economics degree will open up the doors for someone who loves to work with numbers and money, especially in the area of financial services. Preparing taxes, keeping financial records, handling marketing and processing corporate finances are but a few of the options available. Personal finance is on the rise and consulting firms are always looking for a bright, new student willing to work hard in the world of finance.
Students of this field should be prepared to work their way through the ranks in the same fashion that other industries do. Entry level jobs in economics are generally available in some way or another and many companies leave room for advancement to management and supervisory positions. More experience, more knowledge and more education will bring higher paychecks and promotions.
The annual salary that someone with an economics degree can expect early in their career is about $70,000, depending on their location and several other factors. It is not an industry that expects any major changes for the next few years, although there may be a slight increase in demand after 2014 and the increased interest in handling personal finance is definitely something to be watched.
List of schools and programs
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA Business Economics
- BA Finance
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Economics
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- BS in Finance
- BSFIN - Accelerated MS Finance
- MS in Finance
- And more...
- Online and ground-based program areas include Fashion Marketing and Management and more.
- Students can study branding, event management, and public relations to help them prepare for a marketing career
- Course topics include Fundamentals of Business, Brand Strategy, Project Management, and Principles of Market Research
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Start your journey! Classes starting Aug 17.
- Entrepreneurship & Restaurant Management (D)
- Campus-based and online business programs include Entertainment Business (BS), Internet Marketing (BS), and Business Intelligence (MS)
- Students will explore business concepts like marketing, global media management, and business technology and design
- Courses designed to prepare students for a career in business and Career Development advisors available to all alumni
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- Associate of Arts in Business
- Master of Business Administration
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Management
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Business Office Specialist
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting