Dental assistants provide comfort and care to people with many care needs, and as such they need to have the technical knowledge, and be good with their hands, good communicators, and work well as part of a dental health team. An assistant to a dentist will be reliable, have good manual dexterity, work well in a fast paced environment. This type of career is growing fast and if you are interested in this field, then you will need to get your degree or diploma to compete with others in this industry.
This page provides information about dental assistant programs and helps you to find a school and training that suits you. If you are interested in the health and medical assisting field, you might also like to check careers and training for medical assisting, dental hygiene and home aide.
Dental assisting as a career
This kind of career choice is rapidly growing in the medical field and there are some really excellent employment opportunities. The people who choose to work in this field will work 30 up to 40 hours per week. They are known to be important and valuable assistants to the dentist. They will be expected to help the dentist with administrative duties and handle examining and also treatments for patients.
One thing about this kind of assistant is that it is a two fold job. Meaning that at one time the assistant will handle many administrative duties, like the scheduling of appointments, the paying of bills, maintaining and organizing a patience records. The assistant will also be involved with instructing patients with oral hygiene and how to care for their teeth and gums. They will sterilize and provide care for all of the equipment, prepare x-rays, apply some anesthetics and also prepare impressions. The average salary rate being quite high makes this field very enticing to get involved with.
What is involved in studying dental assistant programs?
If this sounds like something that you find interesting and you want to become part of this medical field, then you will need to complete your high school diploma and then follow through with a diploma or degree that is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) for the US.
A dental assisting program will usually involve attending lectures and also some rigorous hands on training within this type of field. This program can take eleven months to complete. The key areas that will be taught from these programs include: daily office procedures and billing details, business and communications skills, terminology, oral histology, anatomy and physiology, handling equipment, patient care, first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, radiography, dental health and nutrition, infection control, orthodontics, health care laws and regulations (OSHA and HIPPA).
List of dental assisting schools and programs
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance