Dental assistants provide comfort and care to people with many care needs, and as such they need to have the technical knowledge, and be good with their hands, good communicators, and work well as part of a dental health team. An assistant to a dentist will be reliable, have good manual dexterity, work well in a fast paced environment. This type of career is growing fast and if you are interested in this field, then you will need to get your degree or diploma to compete with others in this industry.
This page provides information about dental assistant programs and helps you to find a school and training that suits you. If you are interested in the health and medical assisting field, you might also like to check careers and training for medical assisting, dental hygiene and home aide.
Dental assisting as a career
This kind of career choice is rapidly growing in the medical field and there are some really excellent employment opportunities. The people who choose to work in this field will work 30 up to 40 hours per week. They are known to be important and valuable assistants to the dentist. They will be expected to help the dentist with administrative duties and handle examining and also treatments for patients.
One thing about this kind of assistant is that it is a two fold job. Meaning that at one time the assistant will handle many administrative duties, like the scheduling of appointments, the paying of bills, maintaining and organizing a patience records. The assistant will also be involved with instructing patients with oral hygiene and how to care for their teeth and gums. They will sterilize and provide care for all of the equipment, prepare x-rays, apply some anesthetics and also prepare impressions. The average salary rate being quite high makes this field very enticing to get involved with.
What is involved in studying dental assistant programs?
If this sounds like something that you find interesting and you want to become part of this medical field, then you will need to complete your high school diploma and then follow through with a diploma or degree that is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) for the US.
A dental assisting program will usually involve attending lectures and also some rigorous hands on training within this type of field. This program can take eleven months to complete. The key areas that will be taught from these programs include: daily office procedures and billing details, business and communications skills, terminology, oral histology, anatomy and physiology, handling equipment, patient care, first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, radiography, dental health and nutrition, infection control, orthodontics, health care laws and regulations (OSHA and HIPPA).
List of dental assisting schools and programs
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Dental Assistant Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- AAS Medical Assisting
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!