School and corporations recognize the need to provide learners with more choice in their learning environments. Professionals trained to address learning needs with 21st century technology will be in high demand. An education technology degree program, which typically focuses on instructional design, the psychology of learning, and the application of technology to create effective learning environments, provides the knowledge and skills required.
This page provides help if you are interested in studying educational or instructional technology. Programs are offered at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level (PhD and Ed.D). This page tells you more about the programs, provides links to schools where you can take them, and outlines the career prospects after graduation.
What is studied in an education technology degree?
Educational technology is very often studied at graduate level, but is also available at undergraduate level. A typical bachelor’s degree would include courses in: learning theory, models for instructional design, e-learning, technology and applications for effective student learning. Some teachers take a graduate certificate in education technology as part of their professional development to obtain skills in the design, development, and implementation of technology in their classrooms. Some graduate certificate courses can serve as prerequisites or replacements for courses in master’s degree programs.
Master’s programs can be found covering the application of the latest technology to teaching and online learning at all levels of teaching, from K-12 students to college, and corporate trainees. Typically, programs would include: instructional design and evaluation, digital media, filmmaking, media asset creation, corporate training and motivational development, designing effective instruction, methods of online delivery, software tools and project management. Some programs have project-based courses to teach the use of multimedia educational tools such as podcasts, video, animation and games.
What are the career prospects for graduates?
Education/training is one of the largest industries and an educational technology degree offers plenty of career options. Graduates can apply their skills in community college, vocational school, military education, adult education, college or university, P–12 school, military or educational consulting. As well as teaching in the education sector, graduates also find employment in: training in the private sector; community services; development jobs and other non-profit organizations; and, in administration.
With a bachelor’s or master’s degree, jobs to look for include: school technology director, school technology specialist, instructional design specialist, e-learning coordinator, computer-assisted instruction specialist, and instructional technologist. In order to teach in a college of a university, you need to take a Masters degree or a PhD.
List of education schools and programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Instructional Design
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
- Is Working with Children Your Calling? Get Educated in the Education Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Early Childhood Education, K-12 Education, Education Leadership Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!