School and corporations recognize the need to provide learners with more choice in their learning environments. Professionals trained to address learning needs with 21st century technology will be in high demand. An education technology degree program, which typically focuses on instructional design, the psychology of learning, and the application of technology to create effective learning environments, provides the knowledge and skills required.
This page provides help if you are interested in studying educational or instructional technology. Programs are offered at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level (PhD and Ed.D). This page tells you more about the programs, provides links to schools where you can take them, and outlines the career prospects after graduation.
What is studied in an education technology degree?
Educational technology is very often studied at graduate level, but is also available at undergraduate level. A typical bachelor’s degree would include courses in: learning theory, models for instructional design, e-learning, technology and applications for effective student learning. Some teachers take a graduate certificate in education technology as part of their professional development to obtain skills in the design, development, and implementation of technology in their classrooms. Some graduate certificate courses can serve as prerequisites or replacements for courses in master’s degree programs.
Master’s programs can be found covering the application of the latest technology to teaching and online learning at all levels of teaching, from K-12 students to college, and corporate trainees. Typically, programs would include: instructional design and evaluation, digital media, filmmaking, media asset creation, corporate training and motivational development, designing effective instruction, methods of online delivery, software tools and project management. Some programs have project-based courses to teach the use of multimedia educational tools such as podcasts, video, animation and games.
What are the career prospects for graduates?
Education/training is one of the largest industries and an educational technology degree offers plenty of career options. Graduates can apply their skills in community college, vocational school, military education, adult education, college or university, P–12 school, military or educational consulting. As well as teaching in the education sector, graduates also find employment in: training in the private sector; community services; development jobs and other non-profit organizations; and, in administration.
With a bachelor’s or master’s degree, jobs to look for include: school technology director, school technology specialist, instructional design specialist, e-learning coordinator, computer-assisted instruction specialist, and instructional technologist. In order to teach in a college of a university, you need to take a Masters degree or a PhD.
List of education schools and programs
- Choose from 16 education degrees at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- Explore different facets of education, including curriculum development, administration, early childhood education, special education, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for bachelor’s programs and 6 weeks for master’s programs.
- MA/Education - Exceptional Systems for Revolutionizing Education
- MS Instructional Design and Technology
- MA/Teaching and Learning with Technology
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!