Educational psychology degree programs are very popular amongst students. As the name suggests, these programs study the psychology of the educational process. They can be taken at the bachelor level, but are mainly taken at master’s and doctoral levels. This area is very often of interest to those wishing to work as school psychologists, but is also of interest to those wanting management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. It is also of interest to those wanting to work in academic positions in universities or colleges.
This page provides more information about the content of the programs, where they can be studied, the career prospects, and more.
What do you study in these programs?
A typical educational psychology program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis.
A typical Masters program may include the following:
- Biological Basis of Behavior
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology
- Human Motivation
- Research Design
- The Cognitive Approach
- Psychology of Education
- Instructional Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
In a PhD Educational Psychology you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, e.g., developmental science, instructional design, or teaching science. As an educational psychology doctoral student, you may be required to attend some residential workshops during your program.
What are the career prospects with an educational psychology degree?
One can find graduates of educational psychology degree in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With a degree educational psychology, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary ofover US$52,000 (PayScales.com). Graduates with an educational psychology masters can find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers.
With a doctorate in educational psychology it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges. In the US, as an Assistant Professor you would earn about US$54,000, as a Associate Professor about US$67,000, and as a full Professor you would earn about US$85,000 – but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Doctor of Education in Educational Psychology
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!