Educational psychology programs are very popular amongst students. As the name suggests, these programs study the psychology of the educational process. They can be taken at the bachelor level, but are mainly taken at master’s and doctoral levels.
This area is very often of interest to those wishing to work as school psychologists, but is also of interest to those wanting management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. It is also of interest to those wanting to work in academic positions in universities or colleges.
This page provides more information about the content of the programs, where they can be studies, the career prospects, and more. Although the information about the field is relevant to all students, this page mainly provides links to schools for students who wish to study counseling psychology online. If you wish to explore the on campus psychology programs available, go to the campus universities page.
What do you study in educational psychology online programs?
A typical educational psychology program would include the stages of development, psychological foundations of education, instructional strategies, and psychology research testing, methods and analysis.
A typical Masters program may include the following:
- Biological Basis of Behavior
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology
- Human Motivation
- Research Design
- The Cognitive Approach
- Psychology of Education
- Instructional Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
In a PhD Educational Psychology you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, e.g., developmental science, instructional design, or teaching science. As an educational psychology doctoral student, you may be required to attend some residential workshops during your program.
What are the career prospects?
One can find graduates of educational psychology degree in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With a degree educational psychology, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary ofover US$52,000 (PayScales.com). Graduates with an educational psychology masters can find jobs as guidance counselors, educators, or social workers.
With a doctorate in educational psychology it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges. In the US, as an Assistant Professor you would earn about US$54,000, as a Associate Professor about US$67,000, and as a full Professor you would earn about US$85,000 – but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- M.Ed. - School Counseling: Teacher Licensure
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!