These degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration in elementary or primary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Some schools use a “looping system” where the same teacher teaches the same group of students for two years. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So the elementary school teacher needs flexibility to be able to teach across several systems/modes. They also need to be able to teach a range of areas and ages.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study elementary education online degrees, what’s studied in the programs, what the career prospects are, and more. You might also like to check out the online early childhood degrees.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the elementary education area, including an Associate of Arts in Elementary Education, an MS in Early Childhood Education and an MEd in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment. To ensure graduates are able to teach children effectively in elementary education setting, programs typically include online elementary education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
Elementary education online programs can be taken at any level, and this will determine the range of jobs available. Graduates with a Bachelors degree in elementary education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary or early childhood learning environments. A Master of Education (MEd) in elementary education is often necessary for a position as an administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching elementary education in a college or university, a masters degree or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BED: Licensure: Elementary Education
- MA in Teaching - Elementary Education
- Associate of Arts: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- BA: Elementary Education
- MEd: Instructional Leadership & Reading
- MEd: Educational Leadership
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!