With an elementary education PhD you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator.
Elementary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US, is changing. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So a leader in elementary education needs an understanding of change, as well as educational theory and knowledge of best practice. A PhD in elementary education provides the theory, research, and practice for teachers and educational administrators who wish to enter leadership positions in this sector of education.
This page provides information on what is studied, where you can study these programs, career prospects, and more.
What do the programs cover?
Elementary education PhD programs may include taught courses in pedagogy in chosen core subject areas (mathematics, science, language arts, or social studies), curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, leading innovation, human development and educational psychology, and research methodology. In addition, students must prepare and defend a thesis based on original research.
As with any other online PhD education program, there may be some residential attendance required.
What are the career prospects with an elementary education Phd?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
As a PhD elementary education graduate you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator in elementary or early childhood learning environments. In addition, it is possible to find teaching positions in elementary education in a college or university, but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Advance Your Knowledge or Begin Your Journey Towards Licensure With a Master's Degree in Education Online From Grand Canyon University
- Grand Canyon University offers initial licensure, continuing education and postsecondary education programs for both current educators and individuals seeking to enter the field.
- Degree Programs: Administration, Leadership, Instructional Technology, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Curriculum & Instruction, Elementary Education, Secondary Education & more.
- Programs are offered in an online format for convenience and flexibility.
- Through Grand Canyon University you will receive a quality education from faculty who care about your success while having the opportunity to interact with peers in a dynamic learning environment.
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-ITL
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-NITL
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Secondary Education
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Early Childhood Education - Doctor of Education
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- MEd: Instructional Leadership & Reading
- MEd: Educational Leadership
- MS: Instructional Design
- And more...
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!