With an elementary education PhD you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator.
Elementary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US, is changing. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So a leader in elementary education needs an understanding of change, as well as educational theory and knowledge of best practice. A PhD in elementary education provides the theory, research, and practice for teachers and educational administrators who wish to enter leadership positions in this sector of education.
This page provides information on what is studied, where you can study these programs, career prospects, and more.
What do the programs cover?
Elementary education PhD programs may include taught courses in pedagogy in chosen core subject areas (mathematics, science, language arts, or social studies), curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, leading innovation, human development and educational psychology, and research methodology. In addition, students must prepare and defend a thesis based on original research.
As with any other online PhD education program, there may be some residential attendance required.
What are the career prospects with an elementary education Phd?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
As a PhD elementary education graduate you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator in elementary or early childhood learning environments. In addition, it is possible to find teaching positions in elementary education in a college or university, but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Early Childhood Education - Doctor of Education
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- And more...