With an elementary education PhD you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator.
Elementary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US, is changing. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So a leader in elementary education needs an understanding of change, as well as educational theory and knowledge of best practice. A PhD in elementary education provides the theory, research, and practice for teachers and educational administrators who wish to enter leadership positions in this sector of education.
This page provides information on what is studied, where you can study these programs, career prospects, and more.
What do the programs cover?
Elementary education PhD programs may include taught courses in pedagogy in chosen core subject areas (mathematics, science, language arts, or social studies), curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, leading innovation, human development and educational psychology, and research methodology. In addition, students must prepare and defend a thesis based on original research.
As with any other online PhD education program, there may be some residential attendance required.
What are the career prospects with an elementary education Phd?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
As a PhD elementary education graduate you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator in elementary or early childhood learning environments. In addition, it is possible to find teaching positions in elementary education in a college or university, but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-ITL
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-NITL
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
- Take your interest in master courses further and make a game changing career move.
- GradSchools will help match you to the right program that aligns with your education goals and busy schedule
- Explore Master, Doctoral and PhD Degrees in Education Leadership, Early Childhood Education, and MORE
- Ready for your next step? Let GradSchools match you with programs for FREE!