Generally, it’s very hard to get into the entertainment industry – but a degree can help you. There are several interdisciplinary fields of study that you can take depending on the sort of job you want in entertainment. These would include the creative fields, e.g., animation, video games, and multimedia, as well as the business fields, e.g., being an agent, marketing, and business education.
Entertainment degrees can get you into various jobs in the entertainment industry. This page has information about these jobs, and also about the programs you need to take in order to improve your chances of getting one of them. From administration to video games, links to suitable schools are provided on this page. Some programs can be taken online, which give you the flexibility to study whilst working.
The careers in entertainment
Here are some of the jobs and the degrees that you’ll need for each one.
As an agent you will have to understand the business aspects of the entertainment industry. You will also need to negotiate people’s interests, whether it’s facilitating between game developers and publishers, or recording artists and record labels. That’s why an online communication or business program is one of the useful entertainment qualifications. You’ll learn about business communication, as well as media and culture, diversity and intercultural communication. Just as important, you’ll learn about conflict resolution, law and ethics.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in animation will grow 15% through 2014. The entry qualifications are animation degrees or similar entertainment programs. College and university animation courses include life drawing, rendering techniques, special effects, and audio and video production techniques. You’ll also learn how to use different industry standard tools and packages, e.g., PhotoShop, SoftImage, Maya, Macromedia Flash, 3-D Studio Max, and Adobe AfterEffects.
Video gaming is a flourishing business. A degree in video game development and design or similar entertainment programs are your entry qualification into positions such as game and interactive software tester, game maintenance administrator, abd documentation writer. In your degree you’ll be able to select a specialty, such as 3-D modeling and animation, digital illustration, 3D animation, broadcast graphic design, advergaming and storyboard art. Check here for information on Video games education.
The convergence of text, graphics, photo, animation, audio and video is redefining 21st Century entertainment. You can learn to create multimedia through graphic design, video game design, information technology, multimedia, visual communication degree programs or similar entertainment programs. Click here for multimedia degrees that explore the interface between business, communication and technology.
In 2007, U.S. entertainment advertising spending alone totaled $284 billion (Plunkett Research). A degree in marketing is the base qualification. But most of all you need to demonstrate that you have a passion for the entertainment industry, are articulate (both oral and written communication skills), and have the ability to work in a fast-paced working environment on several projects simultaneously.
With digitization, the convergence of media, and bigger audience fragmentation, there are a lot of new questions in the marketing industry. These questions can tackled in online entertainment masters degrees.
The business element has always been a key component in some of the industry’s biggest successes. Click here for business degrees with a focus on entertainment that are designed to give you a practical, real-world entertainment business education. By learning the core fundamentals of business as well as concepts that are more specific to the world of entertainment, you are well prepared to be part of this ever-evolving industry.
List of schools and programs
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Sportscasting Bachelors - Online
- And more...
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Audio Production (BS)
- Audio Design Technology (BS)
- Professional Audio Visual (D)
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes. 100% Free Match to Top Colleges.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You'll Love.
- Answer a few questions and you are one step closer to enroll in a Top College!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.