Generally, it’s very hard to get into the entertainment industry – but a degree can help you. There are several interdisciplinary fields of study that you can take depending on the sort of job you want in entertainment. These would include the creative fields, e.g., animation, video games, and multimedia, as well as the business fields, e.g., being an agent, marketing, and business education.
Entertainment degrees can get you into various jobs in the entertainment industry. This page has information about these jobs, and also about the programs you need to take in order to improve your chances of getting one of them. From administration to video games, links to suitable schools are provided on this page. Some programs can be taken online, which give you the flexibility to study whilst working.
The careers in entertainment
Here are some of the jobs and the degrees that you’ll need for each one.
As an agent you will have to understand the business aspects of the entertainment industry. You will also need to negotiate people’s interests, whether it’s facilitating between game developers and publishers, or recording artists and record labels. That’s why an online communication or business program is one of the useful entertainment qualifications. You’ll learn about business communication, as well as media and culture, diversity and intercultural communication. Just as important, you’ll learn about conflict resolution, law and ethics.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in animation will grow 15% through 2014. The entry qualifications are animation degrees or similar entertainment programs. College and university animation courses include life drawing, rendering techniques, special effects, and audio and video production techniques. You’ll also learn how to use different industry standard tools and packages, e.g., PhotoShop, SoftImage, Maya, Macromedia Flash, 3-D Studio Max, and Adobe AfterEffects.
Video gaming is a flourishing business. A degree in video game development and design or similar entertainment programs are your entry qualification into positions such as game and interactive software tester, game maintenance administrator, abd documentation writer. In your degree you’ll be able to select a specialty, such as 3-D modeling and animation, digital illustration, 3D animation, broadcast graphic design, advergaming and storyboard art. Check here for information on Video games education.
The convergence of text, graphics, photo, animation, audio and video is redefining 21st Century entertainment. You can learn to create multimedia through graphic design, video game design, information technology, multimedia, visual communication degree programs or similar entertainment programs. Click here for multimedia degrees that explore the interface between business, communication and technology.
In 2007, U.S. entertainment advertising spending alone totaled $284 billion (Plunkett Research). A degree in marketing is the base qualification. But most of all you need to demonstrate that you have a passion for the entertainment industry, are articulate (both oral and written communication skills), and have the ability to work in a fast-paced working environment on several projects simultaneously.
With digitization, the convergence of media, and bigger audience fragmentation, there are a lot of new questions in the marketing industry. These questions can tackled in online entertainment masters degrees.
The business element has always been a key component in some of the industry’s biggest successes. Click here for business degrees with a focus on entertainment that are designed to give you a practical, real-world entertainment business education. By learning the core fundamentals of business as well as concepts that are more specific to the world of entertainment, you are well prepared to be part of this ever-evolving industry.
List of schools and programs
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Sportscasting Bachelors - Online
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Fine Arts - Live Production