On Saturday 22 January 2000, two men found a small holdall, abandoned on an industrial estate in the north of Sheffield. Upon opening the bag they made a gruesome discovery. A badly decomposed body.
Who was this person? Why did they die? Where had the body been stored all of this time?
Learn about the forensic technique of facial reconstruction from the experts involved in a real crime case. In the course “Forensic Facial Reconstruction: Finding Mr. X” from The University of Sheffield, you’ll learn alongside the experts who worked to determine the identity of Mr. X. You’ll discover the forensic science techniques that were used to identify the body and understand the circumstances surrounding their death.
This course is suitable for anyone interested in how forensic anatomy and facial reconstruction can assist police investigations. No prior qualifications in forensic science or other disciplines are required. Students and practitioners in the fields of archaeology, anatomy, and anthropology may gain valuable insights into the use of anatomy expertise in forensic work that they can apply to their study and work in the field.
Forensic Facial Reconstruction: Finding Mr. X – Course Contents
In this course, you will solve the mystery of the body in the bag. The course will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the study of Forensic Anatomy.
- The context and applications of facial reconstruction within the study of Forensic Anatomy.
- How to identify basic information about a person from their skeleton and in particular, their skull.
- How to analyze a skull to determine a person’s sex and ethnicity.
- The circumstances under which a facial reconstruction would be necessary.
- The key muscle groups of the face and the order in which they are applied to a skull in facial reconstruction.
- How the facial reconstruction method relates to the broader field of forensic work.
Summary of Course Main Features
- Educator: Katherine Linehan – a Senior Lecturer and Lead Academic in Human Anatomy in the Department of Biomedical Science at the University of Sheffield, UK.
- Course Developed by The University of Sheffield, UK – one of the world’s top 100 universities with a reputation for teaching and research excellence.
- Duration 2 weeks x 2 hours per week
- Start Dates:
- 8 Jun 2020
- 3 Aug 2020
- 21 Sep 2020