Getting a forensic science degree can be the start to pursuing a career as a crime scene investigator. The job has developed to a high degree in conjunction with new methods of detecting clues related to various crimes.
Forensic science has become more and more important over the past few years. Getting a forensic science qualification is the start of a brilliant future. A viewing of a crime television show will illustrate the forensic science crime scene investigation that people with this type of degree do when working with the police department. Often, it is the evidence they present that will solve a crime or assist in the conviction of a guilty person.
This page has more details of suitable programs, the schools where they can be taken, what the prospects are after completion, and more. Also check out the pages for Forensic Accounting, Forensic Psychology, and Law Enforcement.
What do you study in a forensic science degree?
The forensic scientist requirements are a bachelor’s degree or above, although some departments will hire people for assistant or forensic science technician positions with an Associate’s degree who have completed special training programs. A training and certification program takes approximately two years to complete.
Education is required in a physical or applied science field, such as a forensic science, chemistry, physical anthropology, biology or physics. Courses would include such things as fingerprinting, pathology/biology, toxicology, odontology, laboratory work and other such courses to enable one to identify various crime science evidence, and similar tasks. As a rule they specialize in one area of the field, such as firearms testing, examining hair, fiber and other crime evidence, or something else they are interested in.
Online courses are available to obtain a degree in forensic science through accredited schools. Some laboratory work is required but this is usually arranged with a local entity, such as a police department. Taking courses from the convenience of one’s home eliminates the need to sit long hours in a classroom and many enjoy the challenges presented.
What are the career prospects as a graduate?
A forensic science qualification can prepare you for many different positions under the umbrella term of “Forensic Scientist”. This science is divided into medical, field and laboratory services. Whether preferring work on crime scene investigation, in a laboratory, identifying certain parts of evidence or in a medical arena with pathology and other work, the courses taken will fit in any area.
Forensic scientists working in crime scene investigations work gathering crime scene evidence, on site, and analyze the data collected. They work closely with the police and government officials to help solve crimes. They also reconstruct crime scenes, collect and analyze DNA samples, examine firearms and bullets, analyze evidence, take fingerprints and operate laboratory equipment.
The salary for this type of employment runs from $29,526 to $65,000, with a median salary of around $45,000. This does not include bonuses, overtime, vacations and employee benefits. The salary depends on the type of work being done, the amount of experience, the location and the type of work involved.
The demand for forensic scientists is expected to continue to grow. As more and more ways of identifying evidence is discovered, they will work more and more toward solving crimes. A great deal of the work is for Federal, State and local governments.
List of schools and programs
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- MS: Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- AA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BS in Criminal Justice in Crime Scene Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice Homeland Security
- AA in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Interested in enhancing your skills and knowledge in the criminal justice field? Learn more at GCU!
- GCU promotes interdisciplinary studies and research while developing valued skills in the justice workplace.
- Develop collaborative and analytical skills through a rigorous educational environment and Christian worldview.
- GCU's master's and bachelor's degrees prepare students to change lives, enhance communities and ensure the fair treatment of community members.
- Gain the analytical skills and legal expertise needed to evaluate individuals and take charge in a professional legal setting.
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
Learning at Salem University Online is a community effort. You will have a student success advisor dedicated to your success, and our faculty is committed to your unique learning path as you pursue your college degree.
- Crime Scene Investigation (BS)
- Criminal Justice (AS)
- Post University has trained thousands of successful professionals in Criminal Justice
- Find concentrations in Legal Studies, Correctional Counseling & more
- 100% online Criminal Justice B.S. degree
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Arts - Criminal Justice
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's