Geriatric courses provide students with an understanding of health and disease in later life, and provide an excellent way to become qualified for a career in nursing or, more broadly, health care. To succeed in a career in geriatrics you also need: an interest in working with older adults; excellent communication skills; and patience, sensitivity, empathy, and compassion.
Geriatrics is sometimes confused with gerontology, and although there is a connection, there is also a difference. This page provides information about the courses, where they can be studied, what the job prospects are, and more.
What is geriatrics and is it the same as gerontology?
Geriatrics and gerontology are different, even though a program in one may contain courses about the other. Geriatrics is the study of health and disease in later life, and the health welfare of care givers to the elderly. Gerontology, on the other hand, is the study of the aging process, changes in people as they age, the effects of our aging population on society, and the application of this knowledge to policies and programs.
As a result of the multidisciplinary focus of geriatric programs, it is usual to obtain geriatric training and knowledge in the context of other professional fields, e.g., psychology, sociology, social work, medicine, nursing. Online aging and geriatrics programs may also provide the resource management skills required to manage long-term care facilities.
What is studied in geriatric courses?
Geriatrics is a broad field of studies, drawing on many disciplines. Thus, online geriatric education and training would include psychology (especially dealing with death), anatomy and physiology, legal and ethical issues of dying, and end of life care. You would also learn elderly health services, health care management, long-term care, epidemiology in aging, care and wellness for the elderly, and how to identify and assess senior health and social services needs. Some states require professionals to attain licensure or certification, and the requirements vary from state to state.
Online programs in geriatrics can be found at all levels from Certificate to Doctoral level, most often as a specialism within other programs. Field experience is often a required component. In some professions, such as social work, counseling, and nursing, continuing education is required to maintain a license or certificate.
Click here for research on alzheimers.
What are the career prospects?
Geriatric program graduates can be found in various settings for geriatric care, including: hospitals, care facilities, social service agencies, geriatric residential facilities, government agencies, aging research laboratories, and community agencies. The actual jobs you qualify for depends on experience and the level of the academic qualification you have. Thus, with a master in geriatric you are qualified to become a skilled administrator, planner, and practitioner in geriatrics, e.g., geriatrics nurse. A PhD with a specialism in geriatrics prepares you for a career in geriatric research, teaching, administration, or clinical practice. You can specialize in such areas as: social geriatrics, geriatric social work, geriatric medicine, biomedical geriatrics, or geriatric nursing.
The United States of Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that in view of the aging population, opportunities for geriatrics professionals will continue to grow. The income level with a geriatrics online degree varies depending on whether one is a paraprofessional – aide or assistant – to whether one is a nurse, doctor, or geriatric care manager. As a registered nurse you can earn around $52,000 per year.
List of schools and programs
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Applied Behavioral Science
- BS Human Services Leadership
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- M.S. in Human Services/Forensic Mental Health Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Human Services Management
- M.S. in Human Services
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MA Human Services: Life Coaching
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!