Geriatric courses provide students with an understanding of health and disease in later life, and provide an excellent way to become qualified for a career in nursing or, more broadly, health care. To succeed in a career in geriatrics you also need: an interest in working with older adults; excellent communication skills; and patience, sensitivity, empathy, and compassion.
Geriatrics is sometimes confused with gerontology, and although there is a connection, there is also a difference. This page provides information about the courses, where they can be studied, what the job prospects are, and more.
What is geriatrics and is it the same as gerontology?
Geriatrics and gerontology are different, even though a program in one may contain courses about the other. Geriatrics is the study of health and disease in later life, and the health welfare of care givers to the elderly. Gerontology, on the other hand, is the study of the aging process, changes in people as they age, the effects of our aging population on society, and the application of this knowledge to policies and programs.
As a result of the multidisciplinary focus of geriatric programs, it is usual to obtain geriatric training and knowledge in the context of other professional fields, e.g., psychology, sociology, social work, medicine, nursing. Online aging and geriatrics programs may also provide the resource management skills required to manage long-term care facilities.
What is studied in geriatric courses?
Geriatrics is a broad field of studies, drawing on many disciplines. Thus, online geriatric education and training would include psychology (especially dealing with death), anatomy and physiology, legal and ethical issues of dying, and end of life care. You would also learn elderly health services, health care management, long-term care, epidemiology in aging, care and wellness for the elderly, and how to identify and assess senior health and social services needs. Some states require professionals to attain licensure or certification, and the requirements vary from state to state.
Online programs in geriatrics can be found at all levels from Certificate to Doctoral level, most often as a specialism within other programs. Field experience is often a required component. In some professions, such as social work, counseling, and nursing, continuing education is required to maintain a license or certificate.
Click here for research on alzheimers.
What are the career prospects?
Geriatric program graduates can be found in various settings for geriatric care, including: hospitals, care facilities, social service agencies, geriatric residential facilities, government agencies, aging research laboratories, and community agencies. The actual jobs you qualify for depends on experience and the level of the academic qualification you have. Thus, with a master in geriatric you are qualified to become a skilled administrator, planner, and practitioner in geriatrics, e.g., geriatrics nurse. A PhD with a specialism in geriatrics prepares you for a career in geriatric research, teaching, administration, or clinical practice. You can specialize in such areas as: social geriatrics, geriatric social work, geriatric medicine, biomedical geriatrics, or geriatric nursing.
The United States of Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that in view of the aging population, opportunities for geriatrics professionals will continue to grow. The income level with a geriatrics online degree varies depending on whether one is a paraprofessional – aide or assistant – to whether one is a nurse, doctor, or geriatric care manager. As a registered nurse you can earn around $52,000 per year.
List of schools and programs
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- BS in Human Services in Youth/Family Services and Administration
- And more...
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Gerontology
- BA in Health and Human Services
- BA in Health and Human Services - Health Care Informatics Systems Specialization
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling
- And more...
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
Altierus is a non-profit, higher educational school system with 21 campuses in 11 states, operated as Altierus Career College or Career Education. And being a student here is different. Because we don't see you as just a student. We see you as an individual within our community with your own reasons for being here.
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.