A health care administration degree provides the skills and knowledge that you require to help ensure that your organization has strong medical, operational, and financial administration. This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying health care administration, where you can study it online, and the job and salary prospects after completion.
As health care responds to the political directives, changing demographics and health needs of the population it serves, there is an even greater need for effective administration. An online degree in health care administration can provide the training you require to position yourself to meet the challenge.
This page includes programs suitable for a variety of positions in the health care industry, and you can find further details of these on the relevant pages, such as: Health Unit Coordinator, Medical Billing, and Medical Coding.
What are the education requirements for jobs in health care administration?
Short online certificate programs in health care administration are usually designed for health care professionals who have (or soon will have) supervisory or management responsibilities. The minimum requirement for participation is usually an associate degree, or equivalent experience.
A Bachelors degree is enough for some entry-level positions as administrative assistants, a few senior-level positions (department heads) in smaller operations, and for some middle management jobs in larger organizations.
A Masters degree is required for almost every position in the health care management field. Graduates with a Master’s degree can apply for jobs in the industry as associate administrator, supervisor or manager of a department. Some schools/colleges offer a joint degree, e.g., an online Masters degree in Business Administration and Public Health.
What is studied in health care administration degree programs?
Health care administration professionals are those responsible for ensuring that their organizations have strong medical, operational, and financial administration. They need to liaise with many departments, so a broad education is required in an online health care administration program.
Associate degree programs are designed to enable you to learn about the healthcare delivery system, and also to develop knowledge and skills in management. Topics might include: healthcare administration, healthcare finance, healthcare records, human resources, reimbursement systems, regulations and legal issues affecting healthcare organizations.
An online bachelors degree in health care administration will provide a foundation of general education and applied sciences, plus more specialized content, including: foundations of managed care; regulation and compliance; financial management; human resources management; medical law and ethics; quality improvement.
An online master of health care administration program is designed for students to learn to critically examine and evaluate issues. The same is true for an online PhD in health care administration but it also typically includes advanced research and course work in the health care field.
What are the salary and job prospects?
Due to an an aging population and changes in government policies, the demand for healthcare services in a variety of settings will continue to expand. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow 16 percent from 2006 to 2016, faster than the average for all occupations.
With a health care administration associate degree, you can look for positions in health administration areas such as: medical records, medical claims, medical billing, release of information, patient financial representation.
With a bachelors degree, your studies prepare you to work as a healthcare manager in many areas of the industry, e,g., in clinics, hospitals, medical practice organizations, pharmaceutical companies.
The US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that healthcare will generate 3.2 million new jobs between 2008 and 2018, more than any other industry.
And what would the typical health administration salary be? Obviously earnings for health care administration jobs will vary depending on the size of the facility, experience, level of qualification and level of responsibility. In 2012, the median income for a licensed nursing home administrator was $84,980 and for a hospital administrator was $100,000 (PayScale.com).
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Health Science
- Health Information Management
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
- MBA in Healthcare
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Management and Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Health Administration
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Business Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!