A health care administration degree provides the skills and knowledge that you require to help ensure that your organization has strong medical, operational, and financial administration. This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying health care administration, where you can study it online, and the job and salary prospects after completion.
As health care responds to the political directives, changing demographics and health needs of the population it serves, there is an even greater need for effective administration. An online degree in health care administration can provide the training you require to position yourself to meet the challenge.
This page includes programs suitable for a variety of positions in the health care industry, and you can find further details of these on the relevant pages, such as: Health Unit Coordinator, Medical Billing, and Medical Coding.
What are the education requirements for jobs in health care administration?
Short online certificate programs in health care administration are usually designed for health care professionals who have (or soon will have) supervisory or management responsibilities. The minimum requirement for participation is usually an associate degree, or equivalent experience.
A Bachelors degree is enough for some entry-level positions as administrative assistants, a few senior-level positions (department heads) in smaller operations, and for some middle management jobs in larger organizations.
A Masters degree is required for almost every position in the health care management field. Graduates with a Master’s degree can apply for jobs in the industry as associate administrator, supervisor or manager of a department. Some schools/colleges offer a joint degree, e.g., an online Masters degree in Business Administration and Public Health.
What is studied in health care administration degree programs?
Health care administration professionals are those responsible for ensuring that their organizations have strong medical, operational, and financial administration. They need to liaise with many departments, so a broad education is required in an online health care administration program.
Associate degree programs are designed to enable you to learn about the healthcare delivery system, and also to develop knowledge and skills in management. Topics might include: healthcare administration, healthcare finance, healthcare records, human resources, reimbursement systems, regulations and legal issues affecting healthcare organizations.
An online bachelors degree in health care administration will provide a foundation of general education and applied sciences, plus more specialized content, including: foundations of managed care; regulation and compliance; financial management; human resources management; medical law and ethics; quality improvement.
An online master of health care administration program is designed for students to learn to critically examine and evaluate issues. The same is true for an online PhD in health care administration but it also typically includes advanced research and course work in the health care field.
What are the salary and job prospects?
Due to an an aging population and changes in government policies, the demand for healthcare services in a variety of settings will continue to expand. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow 16 percent from 2006 to 2016, faster than the average for all occupations.
With a health care administration associate degree, you can look for positions in health administration areas such as: medical records, medical claims, medical billing, release of information, patient financial representation.
With a bachelors degree, your studies prepare you to work as a healthcare manager in many areas of the industry, e,g., in clinics, hospitals, medical practice organizations, pharmaceutical companies.
The US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that healthcare will generate 3.2 million new jobs between 2008 and 2018, more than any other industry.
And what would the typical health administration salary be? Obviously earnings for health care administration jobs will vary depending on the size of the facility, experience, level of qualification and level of responsibility. In 2012, the median income for a licensed nursing home administrator was $84,980 and for a hospital administrator was $100,000 (PayScale.com).
List of schools and programs
- Join the growing healthcare field with one of the 13 healthcare degrees Ashford University offers at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- Choose a degree in fields like nursing for RNs, health and wellness, gerontology, complementary and alternative health, and public health.
- Most degree programs are offered online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs (doctoral dissertation classes last 9 weeks).
- MA/Health Care Administration
- BA/Health Care Administration
- BA/Health and Human Services - Long-Term Care Management
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MS: Healthcare Administration: 42-hour
- MS: Human Performance: Nutrition
- Bachelor of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Health Care Management
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Leadership
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Health Information Management - Associate's
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Health Administration (BSHA)
The Secret to Getting Ahead Is Getting Started
With a mission of helping students graduate, launch better careers, and gain greater independence to live the life they want as soon as possible, Independence University offers flexible fully online degree programs. Program options are available in healthcare, business, information technology, and graphic arts. The programs are career-focused to help ensure the knowledge and skills you learn match what today's employers are looking for.
- Health Services Management (BS)
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Business Admin w/Con Mgt & Leadership
- Bachelor of Business Admin w/Con Health Care Admin
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Organizational Leadership - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Organizational Leadership - D.B.A.
- Health Care Administration - D.B.A.
- And more...