If you have an interest to work in the health industry, then you can obtain the knowledge and skills required through a broad range of degree programs such as healthcare administration, health IT, or physical therapy. For example, by taking a degree in health promotion, you would learn just how the public institutions along with education initiatives can be used to help promote well being and prevent disease. The program you would take would typically include classes in the areas of public policy, behavioral science and education.
But there are many other possible careers in the health industry and each has associated degree training. This page provides help in determining which program to take, where to find them, what the career prospects are, and more …
What is involved in studying health degrees?
Earning a bachelor degree through the program there is in this field will offer students interdisciplinary coursework in the health education, medical science and sociobiology. In most cases the program will emphasize on the preventions of the aspects of health care much more than its treatments, which shall cover topics such as nutrition, hygiene, and the environmental and occupational well being.
In health education degrees, students will learn methods that are used to coordinate public initiatives designed to help raise the awareness of the everyday activities which can increase the overall wellness of the population. There are some programs that specialize in the community education or even the health care administration, but in most cases these programs will provide plenty of knowledge in regard to the subject as a whole.
The educational prerequisites in regard to these programs will cover subjects that are in a variety of disciplines. All applicants that take part in this type of program will be required to have some strong skills with critical thinking, science and also communication. It can really help a student if they take classes in chemistry, biology, literature and speech, as these skills will be quite helpful when taking this kind of degree program.
Each of the classes shall teach the students how to apply their knowledge of any prevention of diseases, nutrition and how to raise the awareness of this matter to the community. The students will also learn how to communicate medical information so to diverse the population. Some of these courses in the subjects in most cases will be offered, such as mental, adult studies, contemporary issues, substance abuse issues and research and statistics in public that are in regard to this kind of program.
Careers, professional training and prospects
There are several popular career choices in regard to this field that can come from these types of degree programs. Some students will continue on to earn a masters in health, thereby increasing the range of possibilities open to them. Graduates will be able to work in medical clinics, hospitals, government agencies and doctor’s offices. There are plenty of students that choose to have a career as a primary school teacher, a public consultant and physician office manager.
There are many students who after earning their degree in this field, and go on to continue their education by becoming a teacher or registered nurses. The teachers in most cases will need to earn a bachelor or master degree and the registered nurses will need to pass the National Counsel License Examination and also they must meet the state requirements before they can ever work with any patients.
Here is a list of some of the professions that you can choose in this field:
- Environmental Health Specialists are trained to prevent the factors in our environment which can affect the health of the present and future generations.
- Health Education professionals direct educational programs for communities and work alongside other healthcare professionals to establish needs, develop goals, and assess the availability of healthcare services, in order to promote good health. Related professions are Dietetics, Health Promotion, Nutrition, and Public Health.
- Health IT is a very important area which deals with data in hospitals and medical facilities. It covers: Bioinformatics, Health Information Management, and Nursing Informatics.
- Health Care is a vast area, and includes health care management, medical assistance, nursing.
- Nursing professionals are those who interface directly with patients about their health care. They are always in demand all over the world.
The job outlook for graduate who earn their degree in any of the areas listed above is very promising as there are many people who will need some assistance in regard to their lifestyles and their health and wellness. The demand for health-related services is going to increase as a result of changes in legislation and an aging baby-boomer population. A new data release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reveals health is one of the industries that are going to grow the fastest between 2012 and 2022.
List of health schools and programs
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
The Berkeley Advantage®
Preparing students for professional and personal success is what Berkeley College is all about. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- Certificate in Practical Nurse
- AAS in Medical Assistant
- Certificate in Medical Assistant
- And more...
Florida Technical College was founded in 1962 to provide post-secondary training in specialized business fields. The main campus in Orland opened in 1962, followed by the Lakeland campus in 1990, and the DeLand campus in 1997. Classes began at the Kissimmee, Pembroke Pines, and Tampa campuses in 2011, and the Cutler Bay campus opened in 2015.
- Allied Health Management - Bachelor's Degree
- Medical Assistant Technician - Diploma
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialist - Diploma
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science with a Concentration in Computed Tomography
- Associate of Science in Health Science
- Certificate in Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN)
- And more...
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Assistant
- A.S. - Nursing
Arizona College prepares students to work in the 'real world' of medicine. With the use of lecture and laboratory teaching, we provide our students with hands on experience.
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Health Information Specialist
- And more...
At UEI College and United Education Institute, our supportive faculty and staff are committed to helping you build a life and a future you can be proud of! We have dedicated financial aid representatives who will meet with you one-on one-to help you explore your payment options. Tutoring is available for when you need extra help and once it’s time to look for jobs, a dedicated career services representative will help you with your resume, interview skills and employer connections!
- Medical Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Billing & Insurance Coding (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Associate of Science - Allied Health
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Insurance Billing & Coding
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- Dental Assistant, Diploma
- Medical Insurance Billing & Coding (MIBC), Diploma