A health educator’s job is to teach members of the public how to improve their overall health, e.g., in relation to nutrition, exercise, or smoking. Many health educators work for state, local, and national governments, helping to implement nutrition, exercise, smoking cessation and other programs, as well. A bachelor’s degree will gain you entry into the field, but a health education masters really provides the skills and knowledge required for this rewarding career.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying the degree, where you can study it, and the job and salary prospects after completion. Training for a health education career consists of at least a bachelors degree in health education, but more often a masters. Related professional areas to check are nutrition, dietetics and health promotion.
Unlike doctors and other medical personnel, these health educational professionals usually work with basically healthy people, trying to teach them how to remain that way. Some things they might do in a typical job is work one on one with people to help them quit smoking, eat better, or exercise more, or offer community classes in those and other similar subjects. They may also work with patients with diseases, helping them be as healthy as possible despite their limitations.
What is studied in a health education masters?
Many people come into their health education careers from some other, related field such as nursing or psychology. Since working with the public is a large part of these educators’ jobs, people in the field must be comfortable interacting with many different types of people on a regular basis.
Programs of study for these degrees consist of relatively equal parts communication and health training. Topics such as policy development, research, administration and financial management are mixed in among biostatistics, epidemiology, behavioral science, and other science courses. In order to effectively implement programs, these professionals need to be both knowledgeable in the field, and able to communicate their knowledge to others easily.
There is a certification program for these educators, called the Certification Health Education Specialist (CHES) credential, but it is not required by many employers. If a student elects to pursue certification, there is a required exam and 75 hours of continuing education mandated within every 5 year period to maintain the certification. State government positions are the most likely to require that potential employees have this credential.
What are the career prospects after graduating with a masters?
These professionals are teachers, first and foremost, with a specialty in keeping people healthy. One of the places they find employment is through schools, working as health teachers. They also work at colleges, teaching students what they can do to stay healthy, and often mentoring student groups that attempt to educate their peers. With a doctorate or master in health education it is also possible to obtain a position teaching health education as a member of faculty of a two-year or four-year college.
Those that work in the government might perform different tasks, depending on what type of government they work for. A lot of their time is likely to be taken up by developing educational materials for distribution, and serving as liaisons between the public and public officials. They also coordinate efforts such as non-profit fund-raising and community programs.
The current career outlook for the field is quite favorable for these health education degree holders. An increase of 18% in jobs in health education is expected to occur over the next few years, before 2018. Experience is a major factor in landing a job, so internships, volunteering, or taking summer jobs in the field are recommended for prospective educators in the field. Pay in the field is modest to moderate, with the middle 50% making between $33,170 and $60,810 a year.
List of health education schools and masters programs
- Master's in Education Online From Grand Canyon University
- Initial licensure, continuing education and postsecondary education programs offered
- Programs: Administration, Leadership, Elementary Ed, Secondary Ed & more
- Programs offered in an online format for convenience and flexibility
- Interact with peers in a dynamic learning environment
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Student Services (Non-Licensure)
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Educational Law (Non-Licensure)
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Gifted Education
- And more...
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- MEd: Instructional Leadership & Reading
- MEd: Educational Leadership
- MS: Instructional Design
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Trauma and Resilience in Educational Settings
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Master of Education
- Master of Science in Educational Psychology
- MEd - Reading Education
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!