A health educator’s job is to teach members of the public how to improve their overall health, e.g., in relation to nutrition, exercise, or smoking. Many health educators work for state, local, and national governments, helping to implement nutrition, exercise, smoking cessation and other programs, as well. A bachelor’s degree will gain you entry into the field, but a health education masters really provides the skills and knowledge required for this rewarding career.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying the degree, where you can study it, and the job and salary prospects after completion. Training for a health education career consists of at least a bachelors degree in health education, but more often a masters. Related professional areas to check are nutrition, dietetics and health promotion.
Unlike doctors and other medical personnel, these health educational professionals usually work with basically healthy people, trying to teach them how to remain that way. Some things they might do in a typical job is work one on one with people to help them quit smoking, eat better, or exercise more, or offer community classes in those and other similar subjects. They may also work with patients with diseases, helping them be as healthy as possible despite their limitations.
What is studied in a health education masters?
Many people come into their health education careers from some other, related field such as nursing or psychology. Since working with the public is a large part of these educators’ jobs, people in the field must be comfortable interacting with many different types of people on a regular basis.
Programs of study for these degrees consist of relatively equal parts communication and health training. Topics such as policy development, research, administration and financial management are mixed in among biostatistics, epidemiology, behavioral science, and other science courses. In order to effectively implement programs, these professionals need to be both knowledgeable in the field, and able to communicate their knowledge to others easily.
There is a certification program for these educators, called the Certification Health Education Specialist (CHES) credential, but it is not required by many employers. If a student elects to pursue certification, there is a required exam and 75 hours of continuing education mandated within every 5 year period to maintain the certification. State government positions are the most likely to require that potential employees have this credential.
What are the career prospects after graduating with a masters?
These professionals are teachers, first and foremost, with a specialty in keeping people healthy. One of the places they find employment is through schools, working as health teachers. They also work at colleges, teaching students what they can do to stay healthy, and often mentoring student groups that attempt to educate their peers. With a doctorate or master in health education it is also possible to obtain a position teaching health education as a member of faculty of a two-year or four-year college.
Those that work in the government might perform different tasks, depending on what type of government they work for. A lot of their time is likely to be taken up by developing educational materials for distribution, and serving as liaisons between the public and public officials. They also coordinate efforts such as non-profit fund-raising and community programs.
The current career outlook for the field is quite favorable for these health education degree holders. An increase of 18% in jobs in health education is expected to occur over the next few years, before 2018. Experience is a major factor in landing a job, so internships, volunteering, or taking summer jobs in the field are recommended for prospective educators in the field. Pay in the field is modest to moderate, with the middle 50% making between $33,170 and $60,810 a year.
List of health education schools and masters programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education (Leads to initial teacher licensure)
- And more...
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- MEd: Instructional Leadership & Reading
- MEd: Educational Leadership
- MS: Instructional Design
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist - Non-Licensure
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Urban Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- MA in Teaching - Secondary Education
- And more...
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Master of Education
- Master of Science in Educational Psychology
- MEd - Reading Education
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!