Health informatics degrees provide knowledge of the methodologies and the technologies required for collecting, collating and maintaining patient data, in keeping with constantly updated rules and regulations. This page gives more information about the contents of the programs, lists schools where you can take them online, outlines the career prospects, and more …
A degree in this field can lead to an exciting career which is central to the rapidly growing health care industry. You can study health informatics from certificate level to PhD level. You might also like to read the pages for associated areas such as: Health Information Technology, Bioinformatics, Medical Informatics, and Nursing Informatics.
What do health informatics degrees cover?
Essentially, studying health informatics allows the student to become well versed in both the methodologies and the technologies on which the health care industry depends. It will also cover the design of record collecting and keeping systems, in keeping with constantly updated rules and regulations.
A broad subject over four years, the bachelors curriculum teaches a thorough foundation in core sciences. Computer sciences are well covered too; whilst areas such as database management and IT security are particularly focused upon. The curriculum will also cover clinical documentation practices and specifics regarding coding, medical terminology and health laws. In order to graduate, it will be necessary for all students to present a coherent related thesis.
Candidates entering into these programs are most likely to already be working in IT departments within the health care industry. However, those with an interested in information technology, data collection and interrogation or analytical studies will also likely do well.
Because of the way health informatics programs are structured, students will be capable of far more than simply using computers to accurately keep health records. Designed to challenge the analytical mind, improve the decision making and empower accurate and relevant research abilities; it can also be viewed as preparation for management positions.
What are the career prospects?
The health care industry is one of the fastest growing across the United States; and in many other countries besides. As such, there are a host of job opportunities available for those willing to put the time and effort in. Accordingly, many people are looking at obtaining a qualification online to support the ever increasing demand. So large is the health care industry, there are several areas where those studying health informatics education can specialize. These include such areas as bioinformatics and public health informatics; all of which are growing areas of interest and focus.
Another benefit to working in the health care industry is where graduates can choose to operate. Hospitals and clinics are the more obvious choices perhaps, but talents are also called for in private insurance companies and private practices. Further, as research becomes an increasingly important area, laboratories too are in need of health informatics specialists.
As in any other profession, salaries vary according to qualification, position and the state in which it is located. Entry level salaries will usually start at around $45,000. Naturally, progression in the job will see salaries increase. With a median salary of $60,000 and upper level earnings of between $80,000 and $100,000 for centre departmental managers, rewards are handsome. Higher rewards generally go to those with a masters in health informatics or a PhD health informatics.
Graduates of health informatics can expect an interesting workload and to be well compensated for their efforts then. However, it is with the understanding that they are entrusted with a responsible position which often needs understanding and empathy, alongside the meticulous details and organizational skills.
List of health informatics schools and programs
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Master of Health Informatics
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
- MS Health Informatics
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Bachelor’s program options include Cybersecurity, Information Systems Technology, Computer Science, and more.
- A BAS in Information Systems Technology is also available for students who already hold an A.A.S degree.
- Regent University’s tech programs are designed to prepare students for careers in Software Development and Engineering, Computer Information Security, Network Administration, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor’s and Master’s level programs in digital investigations, information assurance and security, project management, and more.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- 8 out the top 20 employers of AIU graduates are Fortune 50 companies
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
Logan is a non-profit university founded in 1935. Logan University has remained grounded in chiropractic education, while continuously enriching academic options with degree offerings in health sciences since 2012.
- Master of Science - Health Informatics
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
- Online MHA Concentration in Population Management
- Online MHA Concentration in Senior Services
- Online General MHA
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.