Health informatics degrees provide knowledge of the methodologies and the technologies required for collecting, collating and maintaining patient data, in keeping with constantly updated rules and regulations. This page gives more information about the contents of the programs, lists schools where you can take them online, outlines the career prospects, and more …
A degree in this field can lead to an exciting career which is central to the rapidly growing health care industry. You can study health informatics from certificate level to PhD level. You might also like to read the pages for associated areas such as: Health Information Technology, Bioinformatics, Medical Informatics, and Nursing Informatics.
What do health informatics degrees cover?
Essentially, studying health informatics allows the student to become well versed in both the methodologies and the technologies on which the health care industry depends. It will also cover the design of record collecting and keeping systems, in keeping with constantly updated rules and regulations.
A broad subject over four years, the bachelors curriculum teaches a thorough foundation in core sciences. Computer sciences are well covered too; whilst areas such as database management and IT security are particularly focused upon. The curriculum will also cover clinical documentation practices and specifics regarding coding, medical terminology and health laws. In order to graduate, it will be necessary for all students to present a coherent related thesis.
Candidates entering into these programs are most likely to already be working in IT departments within the health care industry. However, those with an interested in information technology, data collection and interrogation or analytical studies will also likely do well.
Because of the way health informatics programs are structured, students will be capable of far more than simply using computers to accurately keep health records. Designed to challenge the analytical mind, improve the decision making and empower accurate and relevant research abilities; it can also be viewed as preparation for management positions.
What are the career prospects?
The health care industry is one of the fastest growing across the United States; and in many other countries besides. As such, there are a host of job opportunities available for those willing to put the time and effort in. Accordingly, many people are looking at obtaining a qualification online to support the ever increasing demand. So large is the health care industry, there are several areas where those studying health informatics education can specialize. These include such areas as bioinformatics and public health informatics; all of which are growing areas of interest and focus.
Another benefit to working in the health care industry is where graduates can choose to operate. Hospitals and clinics are the more obvious choices perhaps, but talents are also called for in private insurance companies and private practices. Further, as research becomes an increasingly important area, laboratories too are in need of health informatics specialists.
As in any other profession, salaries vary according to qualification, position and the state in which it is located. Entry level salaries will usually start at around $45,000. Naturally, progression in the job will see salaries increase. With a median salary of $60,000 and upper level earnings of between $80,000 and $100,000 for centre departmental managers, rewards are handsome. Higher rewards generally go to those with a masters in health informatics or a PhD health informatics.
Graduates of health informatics can expect an interesting workload and to be well compensated for their efforts then. However, it is with the understanding that they are entrusted with a responsible position which often needs understanding and empathy, alongside the meticulous details and organizational skills.
List of health informatics schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Master of Health Informatics
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!