A health promotion degree provides the skills and knowledge increasingly required for the health sector today. In order to qualify for admission to a degree program, students will, in most cases, be expected to hold a relevant diploma (or its equivalent) in a related area. In general, although each course will naturally differ from place to place, the modules studied within the program will tend to focus on the current national and local strategies, the politics and theories behind them as well as the approaches to practice and the available opportunities within health promotion.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in a health promotion program, where you can study it online, and the health promotion careers and salary prospects after completion. There are other related degrees, so you might like to check out the pages on: Nutrition, and Health.
What can you expect in a health promotion program?
On completing the health promotion program a student will be expected to have reached a certain level in specific skills, including: successfully understanding psychological theories and perspectives which may serve underpin an individual’s behavior particularly regarding community development and empowerment; sociological diversities, be they cultural or related to class or gender, and their relative impact on relevant issues and an understanding of the determinants of the related economy. A successful student will also be expected to have reached a certain level of understanding with regards to the impact that sociological theories, such as humanism or postmodernism, and political ideologies may ultimately have on care systems and their outcomes.
In degrees in health promotion, students will usually learn skills such as cognitive learning skills through the critical assessment of case studies and an analysis of documents. This will develop their problem solving skills and will also lead to a heightened level of reflection abilities. Students will also have to master a number of more practical skills, such as, how to plan and manage promotion activities that will be suitable for public audiences. Students will gain these practical skills through both observation and participation (including role model situations) in real well-being promotion activities. In general each of the modules will be individually assessed using a number of different methods, including the assessment of written essays and reports as well as the completion of case studies and effective action plans.
What about employment opportunities and salary after completion?
The field of health promotion offers many different options for successful graduates to apply the skills they have acquired. In fact, holders of a health promotion qualification can effectively begin a career straight from graduation. They can choose to specialize in areas such as health in schools, drugs and alcohol centers or even sexual health centers. Moreover, local governments tend to employ a number of people in the role of care promoter in areas such as housing and sports and leisure. Alternatively, an individual can opt for a career which combines a role in healthcare with a more specialist practice such as teaching. The good news is that starting salaries can be from around $33,000 to $43,000 while an experienced specialist can expect to earn around $65,000.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Enroll Today in One of Keiser University's Undergraduate or Graduate Health Care Programs! On Campus or Online options. Classes Starting Soon.
- Keiser University has a wide variety of hands-on degree programs in the health care field. Get started on your new career!
- From Medical Assisting to Sports Medicine to Biomedical Sciences, Keiser can help you get started in the health care industry.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- We offer you the support and flexibility you need to fit education into your busy life with our one class at a time schedule
- Health Care - Bachelor Degree
- Health Care - Master Degree
- Health Care - Associate Degree
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!