A health promotion degree provides the skills and knowledge increasingly required for the health sector today. In order to qualify for admission to a degree program, students will, in most cases, be expected to hold a relevant diploma (or its equivalent) in a related area. In general, although each course will naturally differ from place to place, the modules studied within the program will tend to focus on the current national and local strategies, the politics and theories behind them as well as the approaches to practice and the available opportunities within health promotion.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in a health promotion program, where you can study it online, and the health promotion careers and salary prospects after completion. There are other related degrees, so you might like to check out the pages on: Nutrition, and Health.
What can you expect in a health promotion program?
On completing the health promotion program a student will be expected to have reached a certain level in specific skills, including: successfully understanding psychological theories and perspectives which may serve underpin an individual’s behavior particularly regarding community development and empowerment; sociological diversities, be they cultural or related to class or gender, and their relative impact on relevant issues and an understanding of the determinants of the related economy. A successful student will also be expected to have reached a certain level of understanding with regards to the impact that sociological theories, such as humanism or postmodernism, and political ideologies may ultimately have on care systems and their outcomes.
In degrees in health promotion, students will usually learn skills such as cognitive learning skills through the critical assessment of case studies and an analysis of documents. This will develop their problem solving skills and will also lead to a heightened level of reflection abilities. Students will also have to master a number of more practical skills, such as, how to plan and manage promotion activities that will be suitable for public audiences. Students will gain these practical skills through both observation and participation (including role model situations) in real well-being promotion activities. In general each of the modules will be individually assessed using a number of different methods, including the assessment of written essays and reports as well as the completion of case studies and effective action plans.
What about employment opportunities and salary after completion?
The field of health promotion offers many different options for successful graduates to apply the skills they have acquired. In fact, holders of a health promotion qualification can effectively begin a career straight from graduation. They can choose to specialize in areas such as health in schools, drugs and alcohol centers or even sexual health centers. Moreover, local governments tend to employ a number of people in the role of care promoter in areas such as housing and sports and leisure. Alternatively, an individual can opt for a career which combines a role in healthcare with a more specialist practice such as teaching. The good news is that starting salaries can be from around $33,000 to $43,000 while an experienced specialist can expect to earn around $65,000.
List of schools and programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Human Performance: Clinical
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- The Fortis Dental Assistant program teaches skills through hands-on experience
- Students will be shown how to work chair-side as dentists examine & treat patients
- All Fortis colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or others
- Fortis has a dedicated team in place to support US military students
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Patient Care Technician
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- And more...
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Pre-Nursing
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!