A health promotion degree provides the skills and knowledge increasingly required for the health sector today. In order to qualify for admission to a degree program, students will, in most cases, be expected to hold a relevant diploma (or its equivalent) in a related area. In general, although each course will naturally differ from place to place, the modules studied within the program will tend to focus on the current national and local strategies, the politics and theories behind them as well as the approaches to practice and the available opportunities within health promotion.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in a health promotion program, where you can study it online, and the health promotion careers and salary prospects after completion. There are other related degrees, so you might like to check out the pages on: Nutrition, and Health.
What can you expect in a health promotion program?
On completing the health promotion program a student will be expected to have reached a certain level in specific skills, including: successfully understanding psychological theories and perspectives which may serve underpin an individual’s behavior particularly regarding community development and empowerment; sociological diversities, be they cultural or related to class or gender, and their relative impact on relevant issues and an understanding of the determinants of the related economy. A successful student will also be expected to have reached a certain level of understanding with regards to the impact that sociological theories, such as humanism or postmodernism, and political ideologies may ultimately have on care systems and their outcomes.
In degrees in health promotion, students will usually learn skills such as cognitive learning skills through the critical assessment of case studies and an analysis of documents. This will develop their problem solving skills and will also lead to a heightened level of reflection abilities. Students will also have to master a number of more practical skills, such as, how to plan and manage promotion activities that will be suitable for public audiences. Students will gain these practical skills through both observation and participation (including role model situations) in real well-being promotion activities. In general each of the modules will be individually assessed using a number of different methods, including the assessment of written essays and reports as well as the completion of case studies and effective action plans.
What about employment opportunities and salary after completion?
The field of health promotion offers many different options for successful graduates to apply the skills they have acquired. In fact, holders of a health promotion qualification can effectively begin a career straight from graduation. They can choose to specialize in areas such as health in schools, drugs and alcohol centers or even sexual health centers. Moreover, local governments tend to employ a number of people in the role of care promoter in areas such as housing and sports and leisure. Alternatively, an individual can opt for a career which combines a role in healthcare with a more specialist practice such as teaching. The good news is that starting salaries can be from around $33,000 to $43,000 while an experienced specialist can expect to earn around $65,000.
List of schools and programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Healthcare Administration: Accounting
- MS: Human Performance: Clinical
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Health Care Management
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
The Secret to Getting Ahead Is Getting Started
With a mission of helping students graduate, launch better careers, and gain greater independence to live the life they want as soon as possible, Independence University offers flexible fully online degree programs. Program options are available in healthcare, business, information technology, and graphic arts. The programs are career-focused to help ensure the knowledge and skills you learn match what today's employers are looking for.
- Medical Assisting (AOS)
- Health Services Management (BS)
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- Accelerate your nursing career, deliver better patient care and earn 28 CNEs with Vohra’s Wound Certified Nurse (VWCN™) distinction. Use code HELLO50 for $50 off any Wound Care Certification program.
- 11 Core Modules
- 2 Bonus Modules
- Unlimited Access
- 28 ANCC Continuing Nursing Education Credits
- Wound Care Certification
- Wound Care Certification
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Administration (BSHA)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Certificate in Medical Billing
- And more...
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Pre-Nursing
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Women's Health and Midwifery