With ever increasing populations throughout the whole of the western world, it is no great surprise that there is an ever increasing reliance on health care services. Accordingly, it is one area of work where a marked rise in employment opportunities is being seen.
A health unit brings many facets of health care work together to provide a one-stop shop for patients. This takes a lot of organization, which is why more and more people are studying health unit coordination. Health unit coordinator certification provides the skills and knowledge to get you started in a career in health care assisting. This page gives you more information about what is involved, where you can study it online, and the job and salary prospects after completion.
What is studied in health unit coordinator certification programs?
Because of the front line work involved, many skills are needed. Good verbal and written communication skills are of course necessary. Further than this though, having an aptitude for numerous electronic record management systems will also be important. Such things, and more, are covered in the health unit coordinator certification programs.
A six month to one year course, the health unit coordinator certification programs are run in many states and can be achieved online. However, it is important to understand that training takes place both within a classroom, (for offline study), and within a clinical setting for both offline and online courses.
Through the health unit coordinator course, basic, intermediate and advanced clerical skills will be taught. These skills will also be supplemented by medical clerical training of course. Much of this will centre on the vast amount of medical terminology which, in itself, takes a lot of understanding and how hospitals, health care centers and the like are organized.
Possibly the most important part of the health unit coordinator certificate programs is the training regards ethical and legal responsibilities. All employees working in the sector need this training, and need to understand the responsibility of the role they are in. As such, it take a certain person to really excel in the role.
Prior to studying for health unit coordinator certification, it is necessary to be in possession of a GED or High School diploma. This ensures that basic aptitudes have been achieved. Further, many programs may only be recognized in certain states or geographic areas.
Nationally recognized certification through the National Health Unit Coordinator Certification Examination (NHUCCE) is available. Successful completion of this allows the use of Certified Health Unit Coordinator (CHUC) against a graduate’s name.
What are the salary and job prospects when pursuing a career in health unit coordination?
The trend for an increasing health care service is likely to be ever present. Behind this of course is the growing population. Though there are areas where general health is being improved, there are other areas where it is declining. With so many people going through the systems therefore, management of them will be key.
Controlling this therefore will be each unit’s coordinators job. Responsible for the management of everything that a health center deals with, they are responsible for ensuring a smooth process. Further than this though, they are also charged with the responsibility for handling patient records accurately, scheduling tests and examinations, handling staffing and liaising with medical staff.
Able to work in many settings, including hospitals, nursing homes and private clinics, students with health unit coordinator certification are also in high demand with insurance companies too. As such, health unit coordinator jobs are on the increase and remuneration is good, with an average health unit coordinator salary of $58,000 per annum, and a median grade of $42,000. Higher earnings are achievable of course, for those willing to continue their studies and knowledge base building.
List of schools and programs
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Master of Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Care Administration
- MBA - Health Care Management
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Management and Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Health Administration
- And more...
- Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management and Leadership (MBAHCML)
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Healthcare Administration (BBAHCA)
- Doctorate of Business Administration in Healthcare Management and Leadership (DBAHCML)
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
- MBA in Healthcare
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Master of Health Administration
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!