If you want to work in the healthcare field but not in direct patient care, or if you are already working in the health care field (e.g., as a nurse or other health practitioner) and want to move into the managerial or administrative side of healthcare, then a healthcare administration masters degree will give you the required knowledge and skills. This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying such a program online, where you can study it, and your job prospects after completion.
A masters degree in health care administration might be just the right program for you if you are wanting to progress your career in the health care industry. With this qualification, you will be able to apply for positions in governmental, nonprofit, and private health facilities. You may also like to look at the masters programs in healthcare management. You will need to have an undergraduate degree before taking the masters. After completion of a masters, you might consider taking a PhD program in healthcare management.
What is studied in a?
Health care management professionals are those responsible for management and administration in healthcare. It is their responsibility to ensure that their organizations have strong medical, operational, and financial administration and management. They also need to have the skills and knowledge required to strategically utilize new developments in technology, communication and economics in a constantly changing global environment. So a broad education is required in a masters in health care administration.
A typical online masters in health care administration program, such as is available from Kaplan University Online, South University, Independence University, is designed for students to acquire leadership skills in administration and to critically examine issues in health care delivery and policy. The curriculum includes content in finance, policy, technology, quality improvement, economics, marketing, scheduling and strategic planning. You can also study it as a specialization in an MBA or as a dual degree, e.g., MBA & MS in Nursing. Such programs are typically designed for those already working in the healthcare field who wish to have a career in health care administration.
What jobs are there after graduating?
A masters degree is required for almost every position in the health care and health services administration field, including public health. Your studies prepare you for a wide range of administrative leadership and management positions in governmental, nonprofit, and private organizations. Graduates with a master’s degree may enter the industry as an associate administrator or manager/supervisor of a department. With more experience in the industry, the positions you might take would include: health care administrator, hospital administrator, or health service manager.
According to the US Department of Labor – Bureau of Labor Statistics, the prospects are good as regards health care administration degree jobs (click here for more details).
List of healthcare administration schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Master's Healthcare Management
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Master of Health Administration
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
- MBA in Healthcare
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Management and Organizational Leadership
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management and Leadership (MBAHCML)
- Doctorate of Business Administration in Healthcare Management and Leadership (DBAHCML)
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Health Administration
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- And more...
- Take your interest in master courses further and make a game changing career move
- GradSchools will help match you to the right program that aligns with your education goals and busy schedule
- Explore Master, Doctoral and PhD Degrees in Healthcare Administration, Health Science, Public Health and MORE
- Ready for your next step? Let GradSchools match you with programs for FREE!