If you want to work in the healthcare field but not in direct patient care, or if you are already working in the health care field (e.g., as a nurse or other health practitioner) and want to move into the managerial or administrative side of healthcare, then a healthcare administration masters degree will give you the required knowledge and skills. This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying such a program online, where you can study it, and your job prospects after completion.
A masters degree in health care administration might be just the right program for you if you are wanting to progress your career in the health care industry. With this qualification, you will be able to apply for positions in governmental, nonprofit, and private health facilities. You may also like to look at the masters programs in healthcare management. You will need to have an undergraduate degree before taking the masters. After completion of a masters, you might consider taking a PhD program in healthcare management.
What is studied in a?
Health care management professionals are those responsible for management and administration in healthcare. It is their responsibility to ensure that their organizations have strong medical, operational, and financial administration and management. They also need to have the skills and knowledge required to strategically utilize new developments in technology, communication and economics in a constantly changing global environment. So a broad education is required in a masters in health care administration.
A typical online masters in health care administration program, such as is available from Kaplan University Online, South University, Independence University, is designed for students to acquire leadership skills in administration and to critically examine issues in health care delivery and policy. The curriculum includes content in finance, policy, technology, quality improvement, economics, marketing, scheduling and strategic planning. You can also study it as a specialization in an MBA or as a dual degree, e.g., MBA & MS in Nursing. Such programs are typically designed for those already working in the healthcare field who wish to have a career in health care administration.
What jobs are there after graduating?
A masters degree is required for almost every position in the health care and health services administration field, including public health. Your studies prepare you for a wide range of administrative leadership and management positions in governmental, nonprofit, and private organizations. Graduates with a master’s degree may enter the industry as an associate administrator or manager/supervisor of a department. With more experience in the industry, the positions you might take would include: health care administrator, hospital administrator, or health service manager.
According to the US Department of Labor – Bureau of Labor Statistics, the prospects are good as regards health care administration degree jobs (click here for more details).
List of healthcare administration schools and programs
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Prepare to fill evolving healthcare roles with a graduate degree from GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions.
- Master's degrees in Public Health, Health Care Administration and Health Informatics.
- Programs designed to give you the skills to effectively manage & lead contemporary healthcare systems.
- Discover your many options for becoming a dynamic healthcare leader.
- Convenient online degree options to fit your busy schedule.
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Management and Organizational Leadership
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
- MBA in Healthcare
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
- Earn a Master of Public Health Online in 24 Months.
- UNC’s Online Master of Public Health Program, Bachelor’s degree required.
- Online MPH From #1 Public School of Public Health
- UNC’s Online MPH | GRE, GMAT or MCAT Required | Nutrition and MPH/RD concentrations
- MPH/ RD : ACEND - accredited, 28 or 36 months to complete
- Nutrition : 20 or 28 months to complete
- Online Master of Public Health program with a Nutrition concentration
- Online Master of Public Health/Registered Dietitian program
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Health Administration
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- And more...
- Take your interest in master courses further and make a game changing career move
- GradSchools will help match you to the right program that aligns with your education goals and busy schedule
- Explore Master, Doctoral and PhD Degrees in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Marketing and MORE
- Ready for your next step? Let GradSchools match you with programs for FREE!