Clearly learning online is different to how most of us learned at primary and secondary school. So to what extent will the skills we acquired and used there help us? Probably not a lot. In fact, it is probably better to forget about how we did it at school altogether. Learning online is completely different and it is confusing to try to equate the two things.
When you’re learning in a classroom setting, the teacher is always there to help you learn and to structure your learning. But when you’re learning online, there is nobody actually physically present to help you with your online study. However, you are usually given a structure within which to learn and e-tutors to help you. But in the end it depends on you to be motivated and dedicated. Of course, this is true of any learning – only YOU can do it.
How to learn online: What tools are needed?
Your main tools for online study are a computer/laptop/tablet and the Internet. And if you are already using one of the social networking sites such as FaceBook, then you will probably have most of the basic skills.
You will need to be able to send an e-mail and use the Internet. You will also need to become familiar with posting messages to a discussion forum, so try doing that on some of the public forums first. Remember to observe the network etiquette (sometimes called “netiquette”) outlined below.
You will probably be creating documents (e.g., in Microsoft Office or Open Office) and attaching them to e-mail messages or uploading them to an “assignment post box” in the learning management system used by your institution.
Learning online using network etiquette
Here are a few of the golden rules for Internet communication in the online learning setting:
- Always show respect for your classmates and instructors. Although computer-mediated communication can seem impersonal, there is a person at the other end. Think of the feelings of that other person. And always avoid offensive language.
- Read all the posts related to the discussion before commenting. That way you avoid unnecessary repetition. If you find that someone has made a comment that you agree with, say so, but build on it so that the discussion is taken further.
- Learn the language of the Internet. There are a lot of conventions that have emerged in this form of communication, e.g., using all capitals means that you are shouting. So best to learn them or you might find yourself upsetting someone.
- Stay on topic. Keep what you are saying brief and to the point. Do not introduce new topics or it creates a very confusing string of emails. If you want to talk about a new topic, start a new email thread with a new subject heading.
- Review you work before sending it. Sometimes we write things in the “heat of the moment”, or make silly mistakes. So always leave aside what you have written for a little while, then review it with a fresh mind, modify it, review again and then send it.
- Always respect the privacy of others. Do not share their email or other details with people without their consent.
- And, of course, do not use the Internet to send inappropriate material.
List of online schools and programs
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Business Administration
- Online Master of Information
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- AAS in Information Technology - Network Administration
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- Associate of Arts in Business
- Master of Business Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include Healthcare Management, Public Health, IT, Psychology, BBA & Criminal Justice
- Dedicated to delivering quality education and personalized attention to students since 1899
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Healthcare Administration (AMBA)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Government - Law and Public Policy
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Human Services
- And more...
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.