Clearly learning online is different to how most of us learned at primary and secondary school. So to what extent will the skills we acquired and used there help us? Probably not a lot. In fact, it is probably better to forget about how we did it at school altogether. Learning online is completely different and it is confusing to try to equate the two things.
When you’re learning in a classroom setting, the teacher is always there to help you learn and to structure your learning. But when you’re learning online, there is nobody actually physically present to help you with your online study. However, you are usually given a structure within which to learn and e-tutors to help you. But in the end it depends on you to be motivated and dedicated. Of course, this is true of any learning – only YOU can do it.
How to learn online: What tools are needed?
Your main tools for online study are a computer/laptop/tablet and the Internet. And if you are already using one of the social networking sites such as FaceBook, then you will probably have most of the basic skills.
You will need to be able to send an e-mail and use the Internet. You will also need to become familiar with posting messages to a discussion forum, so try doing that on some of the public forums first. Remember to observe the network etiquette (sometimes called “netiquette”) outlined below.
You will probably be creating documents (e.g., in Microsoft Office or Open Office) and attaching them to e-mail messages or uploading them to an “assignment post box” in the learning management system used by your institution.
Learning online using network etiquette
Here are a few of the golden rules for Internet communication in the online learning setting:
- Always show respect for your classmates and instructors. Although computer-mediated communication can seem impersonal, there is a person at the other end. Think of the feelings of that other person. And always avoid offensive language.
- Read all the posts related to the discussion before commenting. That way you avoid unnecessary repetition. If you find that someone has made a comment that you agree with, say so, but build on it so that the discussion is taken further.
- Learn the language of the Internet. There are a lot of conventions that have emerged in this form of communication, e.g., using all capitals means that you are shouting. So best to learn them or you might find yourself upsetting someone.
- Stay on topic. Keep what you are saying brief and to the point. Do not introduce new topics or it creates a very confusing string of emails. If you want to talk about a new topic, start a new email thread with a new subject heading.
- Review you work before sending it. Sometimes we write things in the “heat of the moment”, or make silly mistakes. So always leave aside what you have written for a little while, then review it with a fresh mind, modify it, review again and then send it.
- Always respect the privacy of others. Do not share their email or other details with people without their consent.
- And, of course, do not use the Internet to send inappropriate material.
List of online schools and programs
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- AAS in Information Technology - Network Administration
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Human Services
- And more...
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- Associate of Arts in Business
- Master of Business Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- And more...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Government - Law and Public Policy
- And more...