A human resources management program prepares you for the many varied tasks involving staff interactions in the workplace and offers the opportunity to build a “people oriented” career in the corporate world. It provides a good start to your career in the business world, and in government and non-government organizations.
Depending on your qualifications, you can take an associates, bachelors, masters or doctoral degree in human resource management. This page tells you more about these programs, where you can find them, what jobs are open to you after graduation, future prospects and more …
What do you study in a human resources management program?
Human resources management has gained importance in recent years as employee recruitment and training for changing work practices for greater efficiency has become part of stategic planning. Changes in workplace legislation has also made the role of the HR professional crucial. A human resources management degree prepares you to become part of this new environment, for example mediating in harassment cases, ensuring equal opportunities regulations are followed, recruiting new personnel, and maintaining employee records.
The typical program at bachelors level might include: industrial psychology, organizational structure, information management, quantitative analysis, communication skills, health and safety rules, labor law, employee training, and compensations rights and benefits administration.
At masters level, programs that enrol graduates from other areas might include some of the content of the bachelors program, but at a more advanced level. A typical program might include: planning and development, compensation rights, global management, health and safety rules, labor law, hiring protocols, disciplinary action, dispute resolution, benefits administration, employee training and development, and employee relations.
What are the prospects for graduates?
There are many jobs available to human resource management graduates. But it would depend very much on the level of qualification.
A human resources bachelor’s degree will qualify you to apply for an entry-level human resources assistant job. With some experience you can apply for a position as: manager of recruitment, labor relations manager, compensation manager, equal employment opportunity coordinator.
There has been “qualifications creep” as more people now take masters, hence reducing the value of an ordinary bachelors degree human resources. Some masters graduates may be able to take up a position as an HR director, overseeing an HR department. Other positions that masters graduates might apply for include HR generalist, training coordinator, and HR information systems specialist. An HR generalist’s job would include providing the programs and polices that govern an HR department. A training coordinator would organise sessions to train employees. An HR information systems specialist would develop computer applications and information systems to help manage and organize employee and potential recruits information.
A steady increase in the number of human resource vacancies is expected over the coming decade (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). In 2010, human resources jobs entry level salary is about $53,000 per annum for a human resource generalist. But with a higher qualification and appropriate experience, an HR manager can earn around $83,500.
List of schools and programs
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Human Resource Management
- Certificate: H.R. Management
- B.S. in Management / Human Resource Management
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MHA: Human Resources
- MBA - Human Resources
- DBA in Human Resources
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Human Resource Management
- MS Organizational Leadership - Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Management - MBA
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionals
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
The Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver has offered a top-quality business education since 1908. Through [email protected], students can earn a Daniels degree while continuing to pursue their personal and professional passions.
- Master of Business Administration
- Value investing is an investment approach that helps investors identify, research, and buy securities priced well below their true market value. Enroll today.
- The Value Investing (Online) program provides you with an integrated framework that teaches you how to identify opportunities for investment that others may miss. Apply Now.
- The Value Investing (Online) program is designed to give you a strong foundation in one of the most successful investment strategies ever developed.
- Follow in the footsteps of legendary investors like Warren Buffett and Mario Gabelli, who have been guided by these principles during their entire career.
- Master Design Thinking
- Suit Up! Success Waits For No One!
- Take Action Now! Find The Perfect Business Program For You
- Get Matched For Free Today!