A human resources management program prepares you for the many varied tasks involving staff interactions in the workplace and offers the opportunity to build a “people oriented” career in the corporate world. It provides a good start to your career in the business world, and in government and non-government organizations.
Depending on your qualifications, you can take an associates, bachelors, masters or doctoral degree in human resource management. This page tells you more about these programs, where you can find them, what jobs are open to you after graduation, future prospects and more …
What do you study in a human resources management program?
Human resources management has gained importance in recent years as employee recruitment and training for changing work practices for greater efficiency has become part of stategic planning. Changes in workplace legislation has also made the role of the HR professional crucial. A human resources management degree prepares you to become part of this new environment, for example mediating in harassment cases, ensuring equal opportunities regulations are followed, recruiting new personnel, and maintaining employee records.
The typical program at bachelors level might include: industrial psychology, organizational structure, information management, quantitative analysis, communication skills, health and safety rules, labor law, employee training, and compensations rights and benefits administration.
At masters level, programs that enrol graduates from other areas might include some of the content of the bachelors program, but at a more advanced level. A typical program might include: planning and development, compensation rights, global management, health and safety rules, labor law, hiring protocols, disciplinary action, dispute resolution, benefits administration, employee training and development, and employee relations.
What are the prospects for graduates?
There are many jobs available to human resource management graduates. But it would depend very much on the level of qualification.
A human resources bachelor’s degree will qualify you to apply for an entry-level human resources assistant job. With some experience you can apply for a position as: manager of recruitment, labor relations manager, compensation manager, equal employment opportunity coordinator.
There has been “qualifications creep” as more people now take masters, hence reducing the value of an ordinary bachelors degree human resources. Some masters graduates may be able to take up a position as an HR director, overseeing an HR department. Other positions that masters graduates might apply for include HR generalist, training coordinator, and HR information systems specialist. An HR generalist’s job would include providing the programs and polices that govern an HR department. A training coordinator would organise sessions to train employees. An HR information systems specialist would develop computer applications and information systems to help manage and organize employee and potential recruits information.
A steady increase in the number of human resource vacancies is expected over the coming decade (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). In 2010, human resources jobs entry level salary is about $53,000 per annum for a human resource generalist. But with a higher qualification and appropriate experience, an HR manager can earn around $83,500.
List of schools and programs
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Certificate: H.R. Management
- Master of Business Administration - Multidisciplinary
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Human Resources
- BS in Business Administration - Human Resources
- MBA - Human Resources
- And more...
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA Human Resources Management
- MBA - Human Resources Management
- MBA - Business Economics
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.B.A.: Strategic Human Resource Management
- B.S. in Business Administration
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Management - MBA
- Human Resources Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...
- Launch your career in Business at Keiser University. Select from Associate, Bachelor's and Graduate Degree Options, On Campus or Online.
- Keiser University has a wide variety of Business programs including Business Administration, MBA, Accounting, Health Services Administration, and more!
- We offer you the support and flexibility you need to fit education into your busy life with our one class at a time schedule
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- Keiser University offers practical learning experiences to prepare you for the modern workplace in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Business - Associate Degree
- Business - Bachelor Degree
- Business - Master Degree
- Our online program blends modern business theory with real-world applications
- SACS accredited with associate's, baccalaureate, & master's degrees & diplomas
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Ranked one of the best for vets business schools by Military Times
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
Named a “Best College” by U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and Forbes, Simmons University has earned a reputation for providing a pioneering liberal arts education for undergraduates integrated with professional work experience. Today, Simmons offers renowned coeducational graduate programs in business, communications management, nursing and health sciences, education, liberal arts, social work, and library and information science.