The humanities and the arts are academic disciplines which study the human condition. Arts and humanities research methods are primarily analytic, critical, or speculative, as opposed to the mainly empirical approaches of the natural and social sciences.
The majors/disciplines that can be taken in a humanities and art degree would include: Art and Design (Design, Interior Design, Video Game Development, Visual Arts, Visual Communication); Classical Studies; English (including TESOL); General Studies; History; Languages; Law; Liberal Arts; Library Science; Literature; Museum Studies; Performing Arts (Dance, Entertainment, Music, Theatre); Philosophy; Theology; Writing (Creative, Business, Technical).
If you want to study a degree in this area, this page provides more details of the programs available, where they can be taken, and more…
Art and Design
Disciplines/majors in Art and Design would include: Design, Interior Design, Video Game Development, Visual Arts, Visual Communication. Students typically take courses in the principles and techniques of working with color, type, illustration, photography, animation, and various print and computer layout techniques.
English as a humanities and the arts major typically involves the study of the language itself (both spoken and written) and its cultural context. A degree in English also focuses on critical thinking and analysis, research skills, critical writing, and public speaking. This can prepare graduates for careers in writing, publishing, education, politics, law, business, and journalism.
Online English courses are very often designed to help students improve their reading comprehensive skills, and appropriate use of the language. In addition, there are online English courses which are designed to improve the language skills of students for whom English is not a first language. These courses fall under Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), English Second Language Learners (ESLL) or English as a Second Language (ESL).
As a more recent field in art and humanities, the purpose of technical writing is to explain technical details in a way that non-technical readers are able to read and understand. A degree in technical communication helps students develop skills in print, video, and online media where they work as a technical writer or editor. Their job is to interpret data, statistics, and other information, which is then, translated it into written material that is easily understood easily by nontechnical and technical and nontechnical users.
Video Game Development
Degrees in Video Game Development, games design, game art, game production or similar programs relating to video games education are the usual entry point into positions such as game and interactive software tester, game maintenance administrator, documentation writer, and support specialist. In your video games development degree you will usually be able to select a specialty, such as 3-D modeling and animation, digital illustration, 3D animation, broadcast graphic design, advergaming and storyboard art.
The goal of visual communication is to creatively display information and products, for example in public relations and promotions. This is one of the relatively new arts disciplines and has grown dramatically with the introduction of web-based advertising and the popularity of the Internet. A visual communications degree will prepare you with skills in graphic design, web design multimedia design, and interactive media.
Writing projects are a big part of the online creative writing degree program. Reading is also a major requirement most online creative writing courses. Some requirements may include readings in American literature, classic literature, and world literature. Some online writing programs may also offer courses in business writing for students who wish to enter a business career. In addition course work would be required in research practices, style manuals, and English grammar. There are many career options that graduates of a creative writing degree program can choose.
List of humanities and arts schools and programs
- Liberal Arts degrees include BAs in English, History, Applied Linguistics, and more.
- Coursework is designed to enhance students’ knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including history, culture, and art.
- Educators focus on developing their students’ critical, creative thinking, and communication skills.
- 100% online, flexible courses allow students to pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Journalism and Mass Communication
- BA/Applied Linguistics
- BA/Liberal Arts
- And more...
- Earn your Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts degree online
- Non-profit and institutionally accredited by WASC
- Over 101,000 Argosy University graduates
- Get 24/7 access to online library, tech support, career services, & more
- Various forms of financial aid are available to students who are eligible
- Liberal Arts (BA)
- If You Have Been Called to Ministry, You Will Not Find a Better Place Than the Grand Canyon University to Grow in Knowledge & Wisdom as You Develop Character and Skill for Faithful Ministry
- With online programs, GCU's College of Theology graduates emerge fully equipped to minister.
- Purse an undergraduate or graduate degree in areas such as Biblical Studies, Global Ministry, Worship Leadership, Youth Ministry and more.
- GCU's College of Theology offers a deeply focused theological education that is grounded in biblical truth.
- Whether you are looking to earn an undergraduate degree or you are seeking entry into our theological seminary to fulfill your calling to serve others, GCU has a program for you.
- B.A. in Christian Studies with an Emphasis in Biblical Studies
- Master of Divinity
- B.A. in Christian Studies
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- Enhance Your Professional Value with a Liberal Arts Degree!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Liberal Arts & Sciences, Communication & Public Relations, English, History, Women's Studies Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Liberal Arts Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!