The humanities and the arts are academic disciplines which study the human condition. Arts and humanities research methods are primarily analytic, critical, or speculative, as opposed to the mainly empirical approaches of the natural and social sciences.
The majors/disciplines that can be taken in a humanities and art degree would include: Art and Design (Design, Interior Design, Video Game Development, Visual Arts, Visual Communication); Classical Studies; English (including TESOL); General Studies; History; Languages; Law; Liberal Arts; Library Science; Literature; Museum Studies; Performing Arts (Dance, Entertainment, Music, Theatre); Philosophy; Theology; Writing (Creative, Business, Technical).
If you want to study a degree in this area, this page provides more details of the programs available, where they can be taken, and more…
Art and Design
Disciplines/majors in Art and Design would include: Design, Interior Design, Video Game Development, Visual Arts, Visual Communication. Students typically take courses in the principles and techniques of working with color, type, illustration, photography, animation, and various print and computer layout techniques.
English as a humanities and the arts major typically involves the study of the language itself (both spoken and written) and its cultural context. A degree in English also focuses on critical thinking and analysis, research skills, critical writing, and public speaking. This can prepare graduates for careers in writing, publishing, education, politics, law, business, and journalism.
Online English courses are very often designed to help students improve their reading comprehensive skills, and appropriate use of the language. In addition, there are online English courses which are designed to improve the language skills of students for whom English is not a first language. These courses fall under Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), English Second Language Learners (ESLL) or English as a Second Language (ESL).
As a more recent field in art and humanities, the purpose of technical writing is to explain technical details in a way that non-technical readers are able to read and understand. A degree in technical communication helps students develop skills in print, video, and online media where they work as a technical writer or editor. Their job is to interpret data, statistics, and other information, which is then, translated it into written material that is easily understood easily by nontechnical and technical and nontechnical users.
Video Game Development
Degrees in Video Game Development, games design, game art, game production or similar programs relating to video games education are the usual entry point into positions such as game and interactive software tester, game maintenance administrator, documentation writer, and support specialist. In your video games development degree you will usually be able to select a specialty, such as 3-D modeling and animation, digital illustration, 3D animation, broadcast graphic design, advergaming and storyboard art.
The goal of visual communication is to creatively display information and products, for example in public relations and promotions. This is one of the relatively new arts disciplines and has grown dramatically with the introduction of web-based advertising and the popularity of the Internet. A visual communications degree will prepare you with skills in graphic design, web design multimedia design, and interactive media.
Writing projects are a big part of the online creative writing degree program. Reading is also a major requirement most online creative writing courses. Some requirements may include readings in American literature, classic literature, and world literature. Some online writing programs may also offer courses in business writing for students who wish to enter a business career. In addition course work would be required in research practices, style manuals, and English grammar. There are many career options that graduates of a creative writing degree program can choose.
List of humanities and arts schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Liberal Studies
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- Find Your Purpose with a Degree from GCU's College of Theology
- From the bachelor's to master's level, our college of ministry offers the education you need to prepare the next generation of disciples.
- Choose your emphasis - global ministry, biblical studies, youth ministry, divinity, worship leadership and more.
- Our transfer-friendly bachelor's and master's degree programs are designed for traditional campus and online students.
- The College of Theology's guiding pillars are Gospel Centered, Church Focused and Missions Oriented.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today and learn about our various theology bachelor's and master's programs.
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology with an Emphasis in Social Work
- B.A. in History
- B.A. in Christian Studies with an Emphasis in Biblical Studies
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Liberal Arts (BA)
- Liberal Arts degrees include BAs in English, History, Applied Linguistics, and more.
- Coursework is designed to enhance students’ knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including history, culture, and art.
- Educators focus on developing their students’ critical, creative thinking, and communication skills.
- 100% online, flexible courses allow students to pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Journalism and Mass Communication
- BA/Applied Linguistics
- BA/Liberal Arts
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- Enhance Your Professional Value with a Liberal Arts Degree!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Liberal Arts & Sciences, Communication & Public Relations, English, History, Women's Studies Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Liberal Arts Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!