Information management is concerned the activities and technologies involved in capturing, processing, storing, delivering and using information required for managing and strategizing in organizations. Information management training can provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a prestigious career.
Business information management professionals may plan, coordinate, and direct research on ICT-related activities of a business. The technical aspects of a business organization, including network security, software development, and Internet operations are often overseen by an information manager. They partner with other managers to develop organizational goals and then implement technology to reach these goals.
During tough economic times, millions of people worldwide may find themselves underemployed, unemployed or seeking a career change. Historically, some careers fair economic storms better than others. An information management qualification can be the ticket to not only a new job but a new quality of life.
What is involved in information management training?
The U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics “Occupational Outlook Handbook” (OOH) identifies the bachelors in information management or similar computer-related field as usually required. Typical coursework for an information management degree includes computer programming, computer science, computer engineering, statistics and math. Management information systems (MIS) programs, typically taken in a business school, require marketing, accounting, finance, management, systems security, system design, database management, and networking courses. Many schools offer flexible and online programs.
Employers generally seek employees with knowledge gained through years of working on a product. Professional certification, typically not required, can also provide this knowledge. Certification can demonstrate subject expertise, and increase employment chances for applicants.
What are the prospects after completing an information management program?
On major Internet employment search engines, searching for keywords can produce thousands of job leads. On one such search site, vacancy results included cross sections of jobs, with the top results: product process associate, asset protection specialist, project manager, software engineer, and business analyst.
The search results for “IT” showed that most required a bachelor degree. Those requiring an associate degree were only slightly higher than those requiring a high school diploma. Those requiring a professional certificate followed.
When it came to experience, of the approximately 68,000 position vacancies advertised, there were about 2,000 fewer vacancies requiring 15 years of experience than for those openings requiring at least 2 years of experience. The majority of positions were full time. Approximately 15,000 positions were permanent and 14,000 were contract. Of the available positions, 11,000 were part time; 4,800 were internships; 3,268 were contract; and 1,200 were telecommute positions.
According to OOH, employment will grow 17% through 2018 for computer and IT managers, a rate more swift than the average for all other occupations. Approximately 342,500 jobs will be available for this occupation. An information management salary depends on the area of specialization and responsibility level. In 2008, annual managers earned a median of $112,210. The middle 50% of IT professionals earned a range of $88,240-$141,890. Median annual wages in the industries employing the largest numbers of computer and information systems managers in May 2008 employed software publishers at $126,840; computer systems designers and related services at $118,120; company managers at $115,150; depository credit intermediation at $113,380; and insurance carriers at $109,810.
With the availability of information management jobs and good earnings, obtaining an information management qualification can equip you to weather economic storms for years to come.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Database Management
- And more...
- ECPI’s online programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Courses utilize technology & simulation software to create real world experiences
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cyber and Information Security Technology - Associate's
- Cyber and Information Security Technology - Bachelor's
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - General
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Information Systems Technology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Software Design & Management
- MHA: Project Management
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Computer Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science - Computer Science
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- Bridge to the M.S. in Information Technology Management
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) - IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Information Systems
- And more...
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- AA: Information Technology
- BS: Computer Science
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!