Information management is concerned the activities and technologies involved in capturing, processing, storing, delivering and using information required for managing and strategizing in organizations. Information management training can provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a prestigious career.
Business information management professionals may plan, coordinate, and direct research on ICT-related activities of a business. The technical aspects of a business organization, including network security, software development, and Internet operations are often overseen by an information manager. They partner with other managers to develop organizational goals and then implement technology to reach these goals.
During tough economic times, millions of people worldwide may find themselves underemployed, unemployed or seeking a career change. Historically, some careers fair economic storms better than others. An information management qualification can be the ticket to not only a new job but a new quality of life.
What is involved in information management training?
The U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics “Occupational Outlook Handbook” (OOH) identifies the bachelors in information management or similar computer-related field as usually required. Typical coursework for an information management degree includes computer programming, computer science, computer engineering, statistics and math. Management information systems (MIS) programs, typically taken in a business school, require marketing, accounting, finance, management, systems security, system design, database management, and networking courses. Many schools offer flexible and online programs.
Employers generally seek employees with knowledge gained through years of working on a product. Professional certification, typically not required, can also provide this knowledge. Certification can demonstrate subject expertise, and increase employment chances for applicants.
What are the prospects after completing an information management program?
On major Internet employment search engines, searching for keywords can produce thousands of job leads. On one such search site, vacancy results included cross sections of jobs, with the top results: product process associate, asset protection specialist, project manager, software engineer, and business analyst.
The search results for “IT” showed that most required a bachelor degree. Those requiring an associate degree were only slightly higher than those requiring a high school diploma. Those requiring a professional certificate followed.
When it came to experience, of the approximately 68,000 position vacancies advertised, there were about 2,000 fewer vacancies requiring 15 years of experience than for those openings requiring at least 2 years of experience. The majority of positions were full time. Approximately 15,000 positions were permanent and 14,000 were contract. Of the available positions, 11,000 were part time; 4,800 were internships; 3,268 were contract; and 1,200 were telecommute positions.
According to OOH, employment will grow 17% through 2018 for computer and IT managers, a rate more swift than the average for all other occupations. Approximately 342,500 jobs will be available for this occupation. An information management salary depends on the area of specialization and responsibility level. In 2008, annual managers earned a median of $112,210. The middle 50% of IT professionals earned a range of $88,240-$141,890. Median annual wages in the industries employing the largest numbers of computer and information systems managers in May 2008 employed software publishers at $126,840; computer systems designers and related services at $118,120; company managers at $115,150; depository credit intermediation at $113,380; and insurance carriers at $109,810.
With the availability of information management jobs and good earnings, obtaining an information management qualification can equip you to weather economic storms for years to come.
List of schools and programs
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- And more...
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- And more...
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Computer Science - Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security
- And more...
- Grand Canyon University's online technology programs offer a premier educational experience designed to lead you to a career in science, technology, engineering and math.
- The College of Science, Engineering and Technology strives to create a challenging and engaging, inquiry-based learning environment.
- Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, such as cybersecurity, computer programming, information technology, business analytics and more.
- GCU's education nurtures and supports a Christian worldview, which informs ethical decision-making.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Start Your Path to a New Career in Information Technology at Keiser University! On Campus & Online options available. Classes Starting Soon!
- Keiser University offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Information and Technology. Online and On campus options available.
- One class at a time schedule and flexible online and on campus options helps you fit education into your busy life.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- Keiser University offers practical learning experiences to prepare you for the modern workplace in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Information Technology - Master Degree
- Information Technology - Associate Degree
- Information Technology - Bachelor Degree
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Information Systems
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Information Systems
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- And more...
- MIT ENTREPRENEURSHIP ONLINE BOOTCAMP
- FROM IDEA TO STARTUP IN 8 WEEKS
- Machine Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!