The study of information systems is about the science and practice of information storage, retrieval and transmission. It is a multidisciplinary area that draws knowledge and research from many fields, including business, computer science, and information technology.
It is a very well paying field, overall, but keep in mind that it takes a good education to get involved in it. A degree in IS provides valuable education to get started in the field and to progress in your information systems career. This page provides information about the degrees, where to study them, what’s involved, the career prospects, earning potential, and more. Information systems degrees are readily available on and off campus, but when taken online, these degrees can provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a prestigious career in informatics. This page has links to both online and on campus programs, but if you want more information about studying a campus-based program, check out the campus universities page. If you are interested in this area, you may also like to check out the information management training and the computer information systems degrees pages.
What do you study in information systems degrees?
Those who enroll in an information systems program will find that it is a science-intensive degree. Keep in mind that you will be required to have a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll in this degree. It will usually take an average of two years for an Associates Degree, and four years to obtain the Bachelors degree.
An information systems bachelor degree will include courses on computer systems and software, including: database systems and web design. You may also take management courses. Some programs, such as a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems, emphasize IS for management and its role in meeting the business needs of an organization. Information systems in the context of nursing (“nursing informatics”) – focuses on how to represent health care data and information.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has estimated that information technology is one of the fastest growing fields in the economy. It has also been noted that there is a shortage of IS educated individuals in the United States today. Because of this, the market is wide open for those who are choosing to take advantage of it.
Information systems programs prepare graduates for lucrative careers such as: software developer, network administrator, computer programmer, webmaster, network engineer, systems designer, intelligence officer, or database manager in a number of fields, from business, to government and healthcare. Many will choose to advance their career after a few years of working in this field. The demand for information systems managers is growing rapidly in the United States, and this is a job that requires a masters degree in most cases. These individuals usually make an average of $112,210 annually. A masters degree program can be easily be found online, and the individual can continue working and gaining experience while training for better career opportunities in the future.
Salaries will range from around $30,000 for those at the lower end of the field (receptionists and information clerks) to well over $100,000 for those who are in more specialized fields, such as those who are information systems managers or involved in research and science.
List of schools and programs
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Information Security
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems
- Master of Science in Information Technology Leadership
- And more...
At Florida Career College, our supportive faculty and staff are committed to helping you build a life and a future you can be proud of! We have dedicated financial aid representatives who will meet with you one-on one-to help you explore your payment options. Tutoring is available for when you need extra help and once it’s time to look for jobs, a dedicated career services representative will help you with your resume, interview skills and employer connections!
- Computer and Network Technician (9.5-Month Diploma Program)
Saint Leo University is a Catholic, liberal arts-based university serving people of all faiths.
Rooted in the 1,500-year-old Benedictine tradition, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body, and spirit for all members of its community. At University Campus, at education centers, and through the Center for Online Learning, Saint Leo University offers a practical, effective model for life and leadership in a challenging world; a model based on a steadfast moral consciousness that recognizes the dignity, value, and gifts of all people.
- BS: Computer Information Systems
- AA: Information Technology
- BS: Computer Science
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Information Systems - Project Management
- Information Technology and Security - Concentration in Information Assurance
- Computer Science
Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Cybersecurity & Networking (BS)
- Networking and Internet Security Specialist - LEA.AE
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Cyber and Information Security Technology - Associate's
- Cyber and Information Security Technology - Bachelor's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- And more...
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Information Technology (IT), Diploma
CTU® degree programs are ranked on eight Best Degree Program lists by U.S. News & World Report in 2020, including Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans and Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for the sixth year in a row.
For important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, go to: www.coloradotech.edu/disclosures
- Colorado Springs - Master of Science - Management: Information Systems Security
- Colorado Springs - Doctor of Computer Science - Digital Systems Security
- Colorado Springs - Associate of Science - Computer Systems Security
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Information Systems
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Information Systems
- Computer and Information Security - MBA
- And more...