The study of information systems is about the science and practice of information storage, retrieval and transmission. It is a multidisciplinary area that draws knowledge and research from many fields, including business, computer science, and information technology.
It is a very well paying field, overall, but keep in mind that it takes a good education to get involved in it. A degree in IS provides valuable education to get started in the field and to progress in your information systems career. This page provides information about the degrees, where to study them, what’s involved, the career prospects, earning potential, and more. Information systems degrees are readily available on and off campus, but when taken online, these degrees can provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a prestigious career in informatics. This page has links to both online and on campus programs, but if you want more information about studying a campus-based program, check out the campus universities page. If you are interested in this area, you may also like to check out the information management training and the computer information systems degrees pages.
What do you study in information systems degrees?
Those who enroll in an information systems program will find that it is a science-intensive degree. Keep in mind that you will be required to have a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll in this degree. It will usually take an average of two years for an Associates Degree, and four years to obtain the Bachelors degree.
An information systems bachelor degree will include courses on computer systems and software, including: database systems and web design. You may also take management courses. Some programs, such as a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems, emphasize IS for management and its role in meeting the business needs of an organization. Information systems in the context of nursing (“nursing informatics”) – focuses on how to represent health care data and information.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has estimated that information technology is one of the fastest growing fields in the economy. It has also been noted that there is a shortage of IS educated individuals in the United States today. Because of this, the market is wide open for those who are choosing to take advantage of it.
Information systems programs prepare graduates for lucrative careers such as: software developer, network administrator, computer programmer, webmaster, network engineer, systems designer, intelligence officer, or database manager in a number of fields, from business, to government and healthcare. Many will choose to advance their career after a few years of working in this field. The demand for information systems managers is growing rapidly in the United States, and this is a job that requires a masters degree in most cases. These individuals usually make an average of $112,210 annually. A masters degree program can be easily be found online, and the individual can continue working and gaining experience while training for better career opportunities in the future.
Salaries will range from around $30,000 for those at the lower end of the field (receptionists and information clerks) to well over $100,000 for those who are in more specialized fields, such as those who are information systems managers or involved in research and science.
List of schools and programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Database Management
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Information Systems
- MS in Information Systems -Technology Management
- Doctor of Business Administration in Information Systems
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Information Systems
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Information Systems
- Management Information Systems - D.B.A.
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- And more...
- Online program in HR Management and Analytics from Wharton
- Two-month online program by Wharton: Learn the latest HR Management and Analytics techniques to improve performance. Live faculty sessions.
- Learn through case studies and examples from automotive to banking.
- Custom exercises and moderated discussion make for interactive learning.
- Machine Learning
- The [email protected] is an online program designed for working professionals and can be completed in as little as 18 months.
- Live classes are held online and coursework is self-paced.
- Students in the [email protected] program have access to dedicated support services and join the Southern Methodist University (SMU) alumni network after graduation.
- Students attend an in-person immersion at the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas.
- The curriculum is truly interdisciplinary, bringing together subjects that data scientists use in the field every day.
- Coursework is pulled from three SMU schools: Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, Lyle School of Engineering and Meadows School of the Arts.
- M.S. in Data Science
- Live online classes: All classes are held weekly on a face-to-face video platform and are kept small, with a low student-to-faculty ratio.
- Renowned faculty: The program is designed by many of the same School of Information (I School) faculty and data science professionals who teach our on-campus programs.
- Multidisciplinary curriculum: Course work is designed with a project-based approach, encouraging the application of tools and methods to solve problems.
- UC Berkeley community: Students gain access to the UC Berkeley I School community, including technical support, academic support, and the university’s vast alumni network.
- Master of Information and Data Science
- Suit Up! Success Waits For No One!
- Take Action Now! Find The Perfect Business Program For You
- Get Matched For Free Today!