An information systems masters degree course is an excellent choice if you wish to enhance your career potential as an IT professional. This page provides more details about the program and where it can be studied.
As information and communication technologies are now integral components of modern life, business, and trade, the requirement for professionals in this field is extremely high. A masters degree would allow you to understand the latest concepts that govern networks, telecommunication, business system analysis, as well as the design, upkeep and programming of databases.
An information systems degree at masters level would be an excellent choice if you are already employed as an IT professional and want to enhance your career potential. The knowledge that can be learnt through such a program would allow you to understand core concepts in a greater detail. It would also help you to be prepared for any challenges and obstacles that need to be overcome to move up to a higher position.
What do information systems masters programs cover?
The coursework that would need to be completed to obtain this higher level qualification would in part depend upon the establishment at which you enroll and whether you take an information systems MBA or an information systems MS. Read the information available from each school and analyze the various programs and curriculum in full before making a choice, there can be major differences in the scope of the modules. The option of studying online is a very popular medium for this degree, as it allows students to continue with their present day roles while enhancing their skills.
The core curriculum would cover such subjects as:
- information systems analysis and design,
- database design and implementation,
- business data and communications networks,
- object oriented programming, and
- telecommunications and networking.
It is expected that upon graduation in a masters in information systems, a student would have an in depth understanding of project management, systems development, and the role of technology in achieving specific goals. It is also expected that graduates are able to maintain secure networks, as well as having excellent problem solving skills.
What are the career prospects after completing a masters in information systems?
Upon completion of this advanced level degree, a graduate would have a wide range of job opportunities made available to them. This can include taking up a position as a project manager, requirement analyst, programming team leader, chief information officer, chief knowledge officer, database administrator, system architect, and more.
It is predicted by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics that the number of positions available to computer and information systems managers will grow steadily in the coming decade, especially for those individuals holding a higher degree.
The salary made available to graduates in this field is extremely competitive. As of 2008, the mean annual wage for a management position relating to information systems was over $120,000, with the top twenty five per cent earning more than $143,000.
The salary depends upon both location and the type of employer. The industry that offers the best financial packages is the computer system design sector, this is followed by insurance companies, and software publishers.
Graduates based in New Jersey, New York, and California are able to receive the highest wage, though the greatest number of openings were to be found in the District of Columbia, Connecticut, and New Hampshire. There is also the possibility of working remotely from the comfort of your own home
List of schools and programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Information Systems
- Computer and Information Security - MBA
- Management Information Systems - MBA
- And more...
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
For important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, go to: www.coloradotech.edu/disclosures
- Denver - Master of Science - Management: Information Systems Security
- Denver - Master of Science - Computer Science: Computer Systems Security
- Denver - Master of Science - Management: IT/Project Management
- And more...
Sullivan University is Kentucky's largest private college or university, offering higher education for people with higher goals. At Sullivan University, we focus on in-demand programs that lead to successful careers. Whether you're a high school student considering college for the first time, an adult returning to school or someone seeking professional development, you'll be surprised at the variety and range of alternatives Sullivan University offers.
- Master of Science in Managing Information Technology
- Information Technology Diploma