An information systems masters degree course is an excellent choice if you wish to enhance your career potential as an IT professional. This page provides more details about the program and where it can be studied.
As information and communication technologies are now integral components of modern life, business, and trade, the requirement for professionals in this field is extremely high. A masters degree would allow you to understand the latest concepts that govern networks, telecommunication, business system analysis, as well as the design, upkeep and programming of databases.
An information systems degree at masters level would be an excellent choice if you are already employed as an IT professional and want to enhance your career potential. The knowledge that can be learnt through such a program would allow you to understand core concepts in a greater detail. It would also help you to be prepared for any challenges and obstacles that need to be overcome to move up to a higher position.
What do information systems masters programs cover?
The coursework that would need to be completed to obtain this higher level qualification would in part depend upon the establishment at which you enroll and whether you take an information systems MBA or an information systems MS. Read the information available from each school and analyze the various programs and curriculum in full before making a choice, there can be major differences in the scope of the modules. The option of studying online is a very popular medium for this degree, as it allows students to continue with their present day roles while enhancing their skills.
The core curriculum would cover such subjects as:
- information systems analysis and design,
- database design and implementation,
- business data and communications networks,
- object oriented programming, and
- telecommunications and networking.
It is expected that upon graduation in a masters in information systems, a student would have an in depth understanding of project management, systems development, and the role of technology in achieving specific goals. It is also expected that graduates are able to maintain secure networks, as well as having excellent problem solving skills.
What are the career prospects after completing a masters in information systems?
Upon completion of this advanced level degree, a graduate would have a wide range of job opportunities made available to them. This can include taking up a position as a project manager, requirement analyst, programming team leader, chief information officer, chief knowledge officer, database administrator, system architect, and more.
It is predicted by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics that the number of positions available to computer and information systems managers will grow steadily in the coming decade, especially for those individuals holding a higher degree.
The salary made available to graduates in this field is extremely competitive. As of 2008, the mean annual wage for a management position relating to information systems was over $120,000, with the top twenty five per cent earning more than $143,000.
The salary depends upon both location and the type of employer. The industry that offers the best financial packages is the computer system design sector, this is followed by insurance companies, and software publishers.
Graduates based in New Jersey, New York, and California are able to receive the highest wage, though the greatest number of openings were to be found in the District of Columbia, Connecticut, and New Hampshire. There is also the possibility of working remotely from the comfort of your own home
List of schools and programs
- Johnson & Wales Online - Learn on your schedule
- Focus on Your Future - Earn Your Master's Degree 100% Online from JWU!
- MBA - Information Security/Assurance
- MS - Data Analytics
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MS in Information Systems -Technology Management
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Software Design & Management
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Information Systems
- Computer and Information Security - MBA
- Management Information Systems - MBA
- And more...
- Suit Up! Success Waits For No One!
- Take Action Now! Find The Perfect Business Program For You
- Get Matched For Free Today!