Information technology (IT) covers many different areas of computer programming, engineering, system design and more. Information sharing has become an important part of business management today. And of course, it has become an essential part of education as online and distance learning has become more popular. Information technology degrees online and on campus qualify you for this exciting field – one that is expanding to meet the needs of modern times. Becoming involved in that expansion could prove to be very rewarding.
IT is a worldwide field, especially as technology grows in countries such as India and China, and contributes a great deal to the communication systems of the future. With the ever-increasing use of the internet, with blogging, information-streaming and podcasts, and other new information systems technology, businesses have been emerging and evolving at a substantially faster rate.
This page has more details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are after graduation, and more. If you are interested in a degree in IT, you might also like to consider one in a closely related field such as computer science, information systems or technology management.
What do you study in information technology degrees online
As already noted, there are many specialization in information technology degrees online. Also, it is a rapidly changing field so as some areas decline, other areas grow. For example the area of computer and information security (cyber security) is currently a “hot topic”. So the content of your program will change over time and according to your specialization. In general terms though, graduates of information technology degrees online will be expected to be able to communicate effectively and be conversant with terminology of their field. They will be utilizing and creating technology applications to advance knowledge in specified areas and to meet the needs of businesses, military, government and non-government organizations.
A masters degree in IT includes such classes as business management, network and communication and business systems analysis and development. In an information technology PhD, in addition to taking some of the masters level courses, students would be expected to undertake original research in a chosen area and defend a thesis on that topic.
Training in technology and the latest in IT advancements should be included in any management degree curriculum, as this kind of information is invaluable to the smooth functioning of business.
What jobs do graduates of information technology get?
Some of the expected jobs that are available to IT graduates are in programming, telecommunications, software design and web design. Those trained in IT will be open to network support and security, which are two important roles in the information technology field. Many entry-level positions are in network support and technical maintenance.
In the US, graduates of information technology can expect to make around $40,000 to $60,000 a year, after gaining some experience in the field. Experience helps boost salary rates. Maintaining updated knowledge in the chosen field is important, as many things change in the computer communications field.
List of schools and programs
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Information Technology and Security - Concentration in Information Assurance
- Cloud Security Risk Management - Post-Baccalaureate
- Computer Science
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Information Technology (IT), Diploma
The Berkeley Advantage®
Preparing students for professional and personal success is what Berkeley College is all about. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- AAS, Information Technology Management
- BS, Information Technology Management
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) - IT Project Management
- And more...
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Information Technology-AS
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
For important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, go to: www.coloradotech.edu/disclosures
- Colorado Springs - Associate of Science - Information Technology
- Colorado Springs - Bachelor of Science - Information Technology
- Colorado Springs - Master of Science - Management: IT/Project Management
- And more...
Since 1866, Davenport University has been providing students with real-world experience, giving them the edge they need to get the career they want.
Our goal is to offer guaranteed job placement to most of our students by 2020.
- Networking Technology, AAS
- Computer Science, BS
- Computer & Network Technician
- Network Systems Administrator
- Network and Database Administrator