Information technology (IT) covers many different areas of computer programming, engineering, system design and more. Information sharing has become an important part of business management today. And of course, it has become an essential part of education as online and distance learning has become more popular. Information technology degrees online and on campus qualify you for this exciting field – one that is expanding to meet the needs of modern times. Becoming involved in that expansion could prove to be very rewarding.
IT is a worldwide field, especially as technology grows in countries such as India and China, and contributes a great deal to the communication systems of the future. With the ever-increasing use of the internet, with blogging, information-streaming and podcasts, and other new information systems technology, businesses have been emerging and evolving at a substantially faster rate.
This page has more details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are after graduation, and more. If you are interested in a degree in IT, you might also like to consider one in a closely related field such as computer science, information systems or technology management.
What do you study in information technology degrees online
As already noted, there are many specialization in information technology degrees online. Also, it is a rapidly changing field so as some areas decline, other areas grow. For example the area of computer and information security (cyber security) is currently a “hot topic”. So the content of your program will change over time and according to your specialization. In general terms though, graduates of information technology degrees online will be expected to be able to communicate effectively and be conversant with terminology of their field. They will be utilizing and creating technology applications to advance knowledge in specified areas and to meet the needs of businesses, military, government and non-government organizations.
A masters degree in IT includes such classes as business management, network and communication and business systems analysis and development. In an information technology PhD, in addition to taking some of the masters level courses, students would be expected to undertake original research in a chosen area and defend a thesis on that topic.
Training in technology and the latest in IT advancements should be included in any management degree curriculum, as this kind of information is invaluable to the smooth functioning of business.
What jobs do graduates of information technology get?
Some of the expected jobs that are available to IT graduates are in programming, telecommunications, software design and web design. Those trained in IT will be open to network support and security, which are two important roles in the information technology field. Many entry-level positions are in network support and technical maintenance.
In the US, graduates of information technology can expect to make around $40,000 to $60,000 a year, after gaining some experience in the field. Experience helps boost salary rates. Maintaining updated knowledge in the chosen field is important, as many things change in the computer communications field.
List of schools and programs
- Pursue a bachelor’s degree in business information systems, computer software technology, cyber & data security technology, information technology, and more
- Step up to IT leadership roles with the Master of Information Systems Management degree
- Degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for bachelor’s programs and 6 weeks for master’s programs.
- Ashford University is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510.748.9001
- BS in Information Technology
- Master of Information Systems Management
- Master of Information Systems Management - Project Management Specialization
- And more...
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MSIT - Cloud and Networking Infrastructure Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- MSIT - General Information Management
- And more...
Regent University is one of the nation’s leading academic centers for Christian thought and action.
Founded in 1978, Regent University’s 11,000 students are studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Va., and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from a Christian perspective in more than 135 program areas including business, communication and the arts, cybersecurity and technology, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing and healthcare, and psychology. Regent University has consistently placed as one of the top colleges in the state of Virginia and, currently, Regent University tops the list of Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in Virginia and is ranked among top national universities by U.S. News & World Report. Along with our commitment to academic excellence, what sets Regent apart is our mission to prepare men and women to excel both in mind and spirit. Our students, faculty and administrators share a calling, founded on biblical principles, to make a significant difference in our world.
- B.S. in Professional Studies
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology