Information technology (IT) covers many different areas of computer programming, engineering, system design and more. Information sharing has become an important part of business management today. And of course, it has become an essential part of education as online and distance learning has become more popular. Information technology degrees online and on campus qualify you for this exciting field – one that is expanding to meet the needs of modern times. Becoming involved in that expansion could prove to be very rewarding.
IT is a worldwide field, especially as technology grows in countries such as India and China, and contributes a great deal to the communication systems of the future. With the ever-increasing use of the internet, with blogging, information-streaming and podcasts, and other new information systems technology, businesses have been emerging and evolving at a substantially faster rate.
This page has more details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are after graduation, and more. If you are interested in a degree in IT, you might also like to consider one in a closely related field such as computer science, information systems or technology management.
What do you study in information technology degrees online
As already noted, there are many specialization in information technology degrees online. Also, it is a rapidly changing field so as some areas decline, other areas grow. For example the area of computer and information security (cyber security) is currently a “hot topic”. So the content of your program will change over time and according to your specialization. In general terms though, graduates of information technology degrees online will be expected to be able to communicate effectively and be conversant with terminology of their field. They will be utilizing and creating technology applications to advance knowledge in specified areas and to meet the needs of businesses, military, government and non-government organizations.
A masters degree in IT includes such classes as business management, network and communication and business systems analysis and development. In an information technology PhD, in addition to taking some of the masters level courses, students would be expected to undertake original research in a chosen area and defend a thesis on that topic.
Training in technology and the latest in IT advancements should be included in any management degree curriculum, as this kind of information is invaluable to the smooth functioning of business.
What jobs do graduates of information technology get?
Some of the expected jobs that are available to IT graduates are in programming, telecommunications, software design and web design. Those trained in IT will be open to network support and security, which are two important roles in the information technology field. Many entry-level positions are in network support and technical maintenance.
In the US, graduates of information technology can expect to make around $40,000 to $60,000 a year, after gaining some experience in the field. Experience helps boost salary rates. Maintaining updated knowledge in the chosen field is important, as many things change in the computer communications field.
List of schools and programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Software Design & Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) - IT Project Management
- And more...
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Computer Science Bachelors - Online
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- Value investing is an investment approach that helps investors identify, research, and buy securities priced well below their true market value. Enroll today.
- The Value Investing (Online) program provides you with an integrated framework that teaches you how to identify opportunities for investment that others may miss. Apply Now.
- The Value Investing (Online) program is designed to give you a strong foundation in one of the most successful investment strategies ever developed.
- Follow in the footsteps of legendary investors like Warren Buffett and Mario Gabelli, who have been guided by these principles during their entire career.
- Machine Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!