Information technology (IT) covers many different areas of computer programming, engineering, system design and more. Information sharing has become an important part of business management today. And of course, it has become an essential part of education as online and distance learning has become more popular. Information technology degrees online and on campus qualify you for this exciting field – one that is expanding to meet the needs of modern times. Becoming involved in that expansion could prove to be very rewarding.
IT is a worldwide field, especially as technology grows in countries such as India and China, and contributes a great deal to the communication systems of the future. With the ever-increasing use of the internet, with blogging, information-streaming and podcasts, and other new information systems technology, businesses have been emerging and evolving at a substantially faster rate.
This page has more details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are after graduation, and more. If you are interested in a degree in IT, you might also like to consider one in a closely related field such as computer science, information systems or technology management.
What do you study in information technology degrees online
As already noted, there are many specialization in information technology degrees online. Also, it is a rapidly changing field so as some areas decline, other areas grow. For example the area of computer and information security (cyber security) is currently a “hot topic”. So the content of your program will change over time and according to your specialization. In general terms though, graduates of information technology degrees online will be expected to be able to communicate effectively and be conversant with terminology of their field. They will be utilizing and creating technology applications to advance knowledge in specified areas and to meet the needs of businesses, military, government and non-government organizations.
A masters degree in IT includes such classes as business management, network and communication and business systems analysis and development. In an information technology PhD, in addition to taking some of the masters level courses, students would be expected to undertake original research in a chosen area and defend a thesis on that topic.
Training in technology and the latest in IT advancements should be included in any management degree curriculum, as this kind of information is invaluable to the smooth functioning of business.
What jobs do graduates of information technology get?
Some of the expected jobs that are available to IT graduates are in programming, telecommunications, software design and web design. Those trained in IT will be open to network support and security, which are two important roles in the information technology field. Many entry-level positions are in network support and technical maintenance.
In the US, graduates of information technology can expect to make around $40,000 to $60,000 a year, after gaining some experience in the field. Experience helps boost salary rates. Maintaining updated knowledge in the chosen field is important, as many things change in the computer communications field.
List of schools and programs
- Pursue a bachelor’s degree in business information systems, computer software technology, cyber & data security technology, information technology, and more
- Step up to IT leadership roles with the Master of Information Systems Management degree
- Degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for bachelor’s programs and 6 weeks for master’s programs.
- BS in Information Technology
- Master of Information Systems Management
- Master of Information Systems Management - Project Management Specialization
- And more...
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- AA: Information Technology
- BS: Computer Science
- BS: Software Engineering
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Software Design & Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) - IT Project Management
- And more...
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Software Development Management
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Information Technology Bachelors- Online
- Computer Science Bachelors - Online
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Computer Science
Empowering your journey starts here!
Join the hundreds for graduates from a Woz U Powered program who have landed a job in tech.
- Software Developer
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!