Leadership psychologists seek to understand and change the interactions between people, and between individuals and the larger social environment. Leadership psychology degrees develop the knowledge and skills required. They focus on the study of group dynamics from a leadership perspective, looking in particular at leadership behavior and leadership attitudes. You can study leadership psychology online and on campus at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
If you are thinking of studying leadership psychology, this page will help you to find out more about it and where you can study it, as well as giving an indication of the future career prospects in this field. Request information from several schools and consider the admission requirements list of each to make sure you have the information and the qualifications they require. Consider applying for several universities and make sure your list has a range of entry requirements, i.e., higher to lower levels of school grades. In this way you will maximize your chances of being accepted by one of them.
What do you study in one of these programs?
Careers in leadership psychology require you to deal with people in a number of business settings. These skills are generic and so are easily transferred from one job to another should you decide to change in the future. They include: Business skills, Communication skills, Team building skills, Management skills, Leadership skills, Analytical skills, Motivational skills, Consulting skills, Evaluation of programs skills, Critical thinking skills, and Market Research skills.
In a leadership psychology masters degree you learn about how to examine the culture of a given organization and evaluate the effect it has on the business so as to create work environments conducive to better performance. So you would also need to cover the following knowledge and skills in greater depth: Communication, management, team building, motivational psychology, analysis and evaluation, decision making psychology, leadership influences, leadership attitudes, and critical thinking.
What are the career prospects for graduates of leadership psychology degrees?
Accredited online degrees in leadership psychology provide many career opportunities in the private and public sectors. And prospects are good. Many leadership psychologists work in Human Resource (HR) departments. With a bachelor’s degree in leadership psychology, you could work as a human resources generalist but in order to advance in your career, a master’s degree in leadership psychology is often required.
With a masters degree in leadership psychology, you can pursue a career in human resources as a facilitator in corporate communications, team building, or coordinating professional development and leadership training programs. With an online masters in leadership psychology degree you could also apply for positions in executive search firms. Some leadership psychologists find work as a research consultant, or in universities researching and teaching leadership and decision making psychology. However, a PhD is usually required for such positions.
Salaries are high among some of the jobs that leadership psychologists take, but vary widely depending on the job type, geographical location, company size, education level and experience. For example, as an HR Manager with 5-9 years experience, you would earn over US57,000 per annum (PayScale.com). With over 20 years experience you could expect to earn over US70,000 per annum. Some other job titles to look for are: Senior Research Consultant, Human Resources Consulting Assistant and Employee Relations Manager.
List of schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- And more...
Regent University is one of the nation’s leading academic centers for Christian thought and action.
Founded in 1978, Regent University’s 11,000 students are studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Va., and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from a Christian perspective in more than 135 program areas including business, communication and the arts, cybersecurity and technology, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing and healthcare, and psychology. Regent University has consistently placed as one of the top colleges in the state of Virginia and, currently, Regent University tops the list of Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in Virginia and is ranked among top national universities by U.S. News & World Report. Along with our commitment to academic excellence, what sets Regent apart is our mission to prepare men and women to excel both in mind and spirit. Our students, faculty and administrators share a calling, founded on biblical principles, to make a significant difference in our world.
- M.A. in Organizational Leadership
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology - D.B.A.
- And more...